Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Questions about going from enlisted to officer honeypot

Author Topic: Questions about going from enlisted to officer  (Read 7162 times)

Offline Someguy1999

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
I have recently started A school as an EM and I am highly considering applying for sta-21. I wish I would have gone officer right from the start, but having just finished highschool I didn’t know what I wanted to do with my life yet. I walked into the nearest recruiters office and three weeks later departed for bootcamp. I want to maximize my time in the Navy, twenty plus years, and am realizing that it would be a great step in my career to go the officer route. What are my chances for getting in with an average GPA in highschool as well as ACT. If I fail to get accepted the first time, am I allowed to keep applying? If I finish top or near too of my class in A school/Power school will that affect my chances of getting accepted? I greatly appreciate this forum and the answers I have found while lurking. All answers, even those I wouldn’t want to hear, are greatly acccepted.

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
Re: Questions about going from enlisted to officer
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2018, 06:13 »
It doesn't just matter how smart you are, but how you think and act.You have to think, act, and live Navy if you want to be a commissioned officer. Obviously, the best route is the academy. You would get a solid education and be indoctrinated in the Navy way (i.e. drink their koolaid). The next best would be enrolled in a university/college with an ROTC program. You would still get some Navy indoctrination, but you would also be contaminated be non Navy influences. Your career would be limited because you were  not an academy boy. The chance of getting selected officer on the path you are persuing is very slim. You did not choose college out of high school and you are not stellar in academics. If you demonstrate a positive solid Navy attitude, do well in your Navy training, you might find an officer to advocate for you. I finished top 5% of class in A school, Nuc School, and prototype. I applied to NESEP and was told that I didn't have the proper attitude and demeanor. I was not officer material. My life experiences had contaminated my thinking so that I could no longer be blindly obedient. That was the 1970s, things may have changed. Apparently these days they give officers a ship command and they don't know maritime protocol. There recently are 2 that have court martials because their ships caused accidents and sailors were killed. Good luck, stay positive, and learn all you can.

Offline Someguy1999

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2018, 06:44 »
Do you know if the people who select the candidates look at specific grades from highschool? Or just overall. It’s not that I’m not academically smart, but highschool was boring. I even tried to make it more challenging by enrolling in 5 dual college courses my senior year, of which bores me as well. Some grades of mine might not look that well, but my math grades are very good, nearly perfect including calculus. I’ve heard that nukes have a house ghee chance of getting in via sta-21. Is that true? Only to a certain extent?

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2018, 07:48 »
The requirements are fairly detailed, but it seems as though there is some forgiveness for past transgressions if you have improved. It seems as though you have to be thorough in gathering all the requirements and submitting to your Commanding Officer. It's attitude and aptitude. Aptitude can be measured and most recent carries more weight. Attitude is more subjective. You don't say how long you have been in, but the longer your Navy experience, the better your understanding of their methods.

Offline ComradeRed1308

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2018, 10:16 »
Your high school grades will probably be way less important than your A-school, power school, prototype grades.  Also having a positive attitude, taking initiative, and getting along with instructors will go a long way.  Your best chance of getting STA-21 will be in prototype.  Once you get out to the fleet your chance decreases significantly.  If you're ok with not going officer right away but you want to make the Navy a career, you can also go the Limited Duty Officer route around the time you would make Chief (E-7). 

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2018, 10:38 »
You can apply to any or all of the officer program you are eligible for as long as you are eligible. However, why do you want to become an officer? Do you have any idea what an officer does? What do you want to do?

FYI, if you got bored in HS with dual college classes, you're probably going to get bored in college, too.

TVA

« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2018, 10:27 »
I was extremely bored in HS then college. I found the navy then my civilian training to be quite fun. I think it’s because the people come from all walks of life and many appreciate the opportunity. I love teaching NLOI simply because the people are all new and truly appreciative of the opportunity. I know this is a bit off topic but its been my experience Nuclear ops training anywhere is fun.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2018, 11:09 »
I was extremely bored in HS then college.....

me too,...

heheheheheheh,....

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

TVA

« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2018, 11:18 »
Lol

HeavyD

« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2018, 08:03 »
The first, and probably most important question you're going to get asked;

Why do you want to be an officer?

If you don't know the answer to that question, it'll be a long and difficult uphill battle.

Best of luck to you.

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2018, 08:41 »
Learning is much easier and more fun if you realize the relevance to your own life. That is why HS and college seems boring and vocational training (including the Navy) seem so much more interesting. If you have a strong personal goal and you gear your curriculum to achieve it, it is much easier.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?