Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Floor Monitoring honeypot

Author Topic: Floor Monitoring  (Read 8557 times)

Offline stewdill

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Floor Monitoring
« on: Jan 23, 2018, 05:07 »
So I work at a facility that we are going to be doing 100% floor scan. The company does not want to by floor monitors. So I am trying to figure out something that isn't expensive that could be used with a ludlum 43-93 probe and a radeye attachment. We have came up with using a metal detector pole but it would have to be adjusted and parts added to make it work. I didn't know if there was anyone out there in the industry that has created such a walking stick?

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: Floor Monitoring
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:38 »
 WTF

How about rent one from SEC? (Or whatever they are called these days... Perma-Fix)

Instrumentation Rental, Repair, and Calibration, please contact Carl Hall, Lead Instrumentation Tech., chall@perma-fix.com, or call 865.342.3924.

That is what I would do.

The time savings will pay for the rental. -- A few hundred dollars.

BetaAnt

« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2018, 08:36 »
We use mop handles with screw head attachment. Has a claw closure for the mop head. Cheaper still, broom stick and duct tape. Make sure plastic spacer is attached to prevent probe scratching.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2018, 08:49 »
first rule of business:

everybody wants it fast, good and cheap,....

pick two,....that's all you're gonna get,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline stkeele

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2018, 12:17 »
I have attached a picture of what we use to survey floors, trailers, sage brush...etc. I have more pictures if you would like, i was only able to add one due to file size. We use a metal detector handle with a machined piece on the end that has a probe holder off of our Ludlum 3 and Ludlum 2224 survey instruments screwed to it. It is comfortable and adjustable to different sizes of people. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. Like others have said you can also rent instruments, i have attached some links to a couple of providers. Thanks

http://www.envisupply.com/rentals/radiation-monitor-rental-equipment.htm
http://instruments.energysolutions.com/Instrument-Rental/Ludlum-Floor-Monitors/
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2018, 12:18 by stkeele »

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2018, 06:38 »
Using adapted handles and a 43-93 for floor surveys will take longer, result in more holes in the mylar (which will potentially give erroneous data), and be less accurate due to geometry of the probe/floor. If you have a large floor space, it will be better to rent a unit as they can scan at about 10 square meters per minute. A smaller floor, and cheap cheap management, could be done accurately and more quickly with a wheeled mechanic's stool and hand held instrumentation.
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2018, 06:39 by Atomic Archeologist »

ISOCS

« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2018, 07:20 »
Mark off grids on the floor and assay each grid with an ISOCS unit and create a geometry composure and efficiency calibration to report results in dpm/100 cm2 instead of pCi/gm. This will save a whole lot of time and effort.

Offline stewdill

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2018, 10:25 »
I think there would be a problem with renting equipment because there would be no procedures in place to operate that equipment. Also this needs to be a long term solution. I think we are going with a metal detector pole that is going to be fitted to hold a meter..

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2018, 11:50 »
I think there would be a problem with renting equipment because there would be no procedures in place to operate that equipment. Also this needs to be a long term solution. I think we are going with a metal detector pole that is going to be fitted to hold a meter..

cheap ✔

good ✔

fast X

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2018, 10:39 »
cheap ✔
good ✔
fast X

I would say:

cheap ✔
good X
fast X

Swinging a pole changes your distance and speed. Which severely reduced your accuracy, and increases your variance.

Renting a cart does not require new procedures if you attach the equipment you already have to the cart.

(Or ask the vendor for procedures if you want different equipment)  Heck, I have lots and lots of procedures...

It sounds like your mind is already made up though, so enjoy.  [SadPanda] [quit] [DH] [2cents]

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2018, 12:25 »
not nice Mike,...

technicians can do a good survey with small detectors at, oh, I don't know, 1.5"/sec and mebbe 100 sq cm / sec?!?!?

with that known it should be pretty easy to figger out how many years months weeks this project should take,.... :P ;) :) 8)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2018, 12:28 »
    Is a procedure really needed or can the tech manual and tool box knowledge be justified? Ask vendor if they have a generic procedure as well, they may have one for you. I have rented equipment and simply documented use on survey documents and final report.

Offline roosterfitz

• Light User
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2018, 05:42 »
If one does the math...a pancake probe at 1/2" with a 2 second per inch frisk will provide a 50 / 50 chance of seeing 5000dpm / 100cm squared. That's a zero sigma confidence level. Anyone OK with that? Buy the correct instrument for the application please?

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2018, 08:09 »
If one does the math...a pancake probe at 1/2" with a 2 second per inch frisk will provide a 50 / 50 chance of seeing 5000dpm / 100cm squared. That's a zero sigma confidence level. Anyone OK with that? Buy the correct instrument for the application please?

So I work at a facility that we are going to be doing 100% floor scan. The company does not want to by floor monitors. So I am trying to figure out something that isn't expensive that could be used with a ludlum 43-93 probe and a radeye attachment. We have came up with using a metal detector pole but it would have to be adjusted and parts added to make it work. I didn't know if there was anyone out there in the industry that has created such a walking stick?

not a pancake,....

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2018, 09:39 »

not a pancake,....

A waffle?

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2018, 08:25 »
A waffle?

well, after pushing it for a full shift, feels more like:

waffle iron,...

Offline bigjoemonger

• Light User
« Reply #16 on: Apr 29, 2018, 10:24 »
Well you could glue some rubber feet, like from an RO-20, or other plastic pieces onto the four corners of the probe. That way you can just rest it on the floor and push it. It'll just slide along and will always be the same distance. Attach that to a stick of some kind with the radeye and a 5ft bnc cable.

What I'm curious is what rooms are you planning to do this in? If you're using a 43-92 probe in a big room, scanning the whole floor would take forever. If there's dose in the room, how much dose are your ALARA guys willing to spend to do this? If there's not dose in the room why are you even doing it? Would probably be better off spending the money to do it properly. It'd be easier, faster, save dose, and probably a lot more accurate. Especially since floor monitors are gas proportional counters which are far more efficient than you're standard 43-92 probe. If this were a temporary thing then I can understand rigging something together. But if this is a permanent change then not buying the correct tool for the job is just lazy.

Honestly rather than a 43-92 you'd probably be better off grabbing a swiffer mop with a dry pad and run that over the whole room, then just survey the pad.
« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2018, 10:27 by bigjoemonger »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?