Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Collegiate NUPOC on resume honeypot

Author Topic: Collegiate NUPOC on resume  (Read 4370 times)

Offline rhythmicz

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Collegiate NUPOC on resume
« on: Feb 02, 2018, 03:15 »
I was selected a few months ago into the NUPOC program and I have a couple questions as to how I should adjust my resume to reflect this achievement. I'm interested in applying for a Nuclear Fuel internship this summer to keep myself busy, but I'm having troubles thinking of key points about this program that are currently "resume-worthy". I haven't really done anything since being accepted other than maintaining my grades so I'm not sure how to really sell it on my resume. Any advice?
« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2018, 05:23 by rhythmicz »

Offline fourteener

• Light User
Re: Collegiate NUPOC on resume
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2018, 11:24 »
Because you are applying for an internship, it would be appropriate to indicate that you are "NUPOC Program Selectee."  That may asuage any concern they may have at to your potential, qualifications, and commitment.  You may also want to indicate your reporting date.
« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2018, 11:25 by fourteener »

Offline ComradeRed1308

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2018, 11:56 »
I would probably put it something like this:

Naval Nuclear Officer Candidate
Selected for commissioning as a (submarine warfare/surface warfare/naval reactors engineer) officer in the US Navy.  Scheduled to report to Officer Candidate School following graduation on (Month/Year).

Anyone in the nuclear industry most likely will have ex navy nukes working for them and will understand your situation.  Another thing I would consider thought is to talk  to your recruiter about getting the internship.  Once you are selected you are considered active duty and may need to get permission to get an outside job.  Since you already have a job lined up after school, I don't know how valuable the internship will actually be, but if you'd rather do that than not it certainly won't hurt. 

Offline rhythmicz

• Lurker
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2018, 03:15 »
Thanks for the response guys! As for the permission- the Navy doesn't really care what I do during my summer as long as it doesn't interfere with my graduation date. The internship is more for me keep busy during the summer, and to building a stronger network for after my commitment is completed.
« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2018, 03:23 by rhythmicz »

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2018, 08:56 »
I was selected a few months ago into the NUPOC program and I have a couple questions as to how I should adjust my resume to reflect this achievement. I'm interested in applying for a Nuclear Fuel internship this summer to keep myself busy, but I'm having troubles thinking of key points about this program that are currently "resume-worthy". I haven't really done anything since being accepted other than maintaining my grades so I'm not sure how to really sell it on my resume. Any advice?
Being selected for NUPOC isn't resume worthy. It's not an award, it's future employment.

For employment/extra curricular clubs, you need to include things that you have actually participated in and how you have added value to those organizations.

TVA

« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2018, 11:05 »
Put that kind of BS on a resume and I will chunk it about as fast as I can read NUPOC. It’s useless.

Offline ComradeRed1308

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2018, 09:40 »
For an actual job I would agree that it is pointless on a resume, but for internships when you're competing against other people that have zero technical job experience I think it would make you stand out at least a little bit.  Very few people applying for internships are going to have a real powerhouse resume so I think being selected for NUPOC is a valid thing to put on a resume for this level of a position.  You're right that OP hasn't done anything relating to the Navy yet, but it shows a company that someone else has taken the time to evaluate OP and found them acceptable for full time position which is a more than a typical college student looking for an internship will have.

TVA

« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2018, 12:02 »
No won’t happen

Offline Lam

• Lurker
« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2018, 12:04 »
Being selected for NUPOC isn't resume worthy. It's not an award, it's future employment.

For employment/extra curricular clubs, you need to include things that you have actually participated in and how you have added value to those organizations.

This.

If you happen to get an interview and they ask you your plans after college, then you can mention NUPOC.

I am currently in the program and I feel it has decreased my chances of getting internships, mainly because I won't be sticking around after graduation.
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2018, 12:08 by Lam »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?