Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Asthma and Crustacean allergy in NUPOC  

Author Topic: Asthma and Crustacean allergy in NUPOC  (Read 2835 times)

Offline FlatCan

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Asthma and Crustacean allergy in NUPOC
« on: Feb 04, 2018, 01:42 »
I had "severe" childhood asthma which I've largely outgrown, though I still use an inhaler occasionally while staying in houses with cats (feline allergy). It doesn't affect how I exercise, as long as I stay away from cats.

I also suspect I have a crustacean allergy. I once had crab at a Christmas party and subsequently vomited 5 times. However, medical tests came back on the low end of the spectrum, barely detectable with their test methods.

How negatively will these issues affect my prospects in NUPOC? How can I go about getting a waiver for these issues?

I've been thinking about my post-college plans a lot, and NUPOC keeps coming up, even though I don't know if I am even eligible. I really want to lay the matter to rest and evaluate my options clearly.

Thanks for your help

HeavyD

Re: Asthma and Crustacean allergy in NUPOC
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2018, 11:35 »
Are you in college or the nuke program?

Neither of those things are clear in your post.

Either of these conditions could impact your ability to serve, period.

Also, NUPOC isn't a post-college thing.  It's a program for current college students that leads to a commission and obligated service in the Navy as an officer.

Offline FlatCan

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2018, 07:22 »
Please pardon the lack of context. I'm in college right now. I have 3 - 4 semesters until graduation, and have been looking at NUPOC as a means of finding a post-college occupation (i.e. commissioning as an officer.)

For further contextualization, I'm studying electrical engineering at a state university, and currently have a 4.0. I'm doing an internship with NASA right now. In the presence of these other factors, how likely are asthma and crustacean allergy to disqualify someone? Don't worry, I won't hold anyone to their statements.

"But sir, HeavyD on NukeWorker.com said I had a "pretty good" chance of joining!? Whadya mean I'm not accepted?!" =P

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2018, 08:03 »
I'd start by doing some research about the NUPOC program. You don't seem to know much about it apart from it's a means to pay for college.

You scored an internship with NASA, I'd try to go that route before NUPOC.

Offline FlatCan

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2018, 10:28 »
I'd really just like to know how people think asthma and a crustacean allergy would affect chances of being selected.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2018, 12:15 »
Asthma is disqualifying for subs, and it might be disqualifying for joining the military. If it is, than that potentially eliminates the chances of being selected. I'm not sure about the rules, nor am I particularly interested in them any more.

Offline FlatCan

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2018, 12:27 »
Thanks for your input MMM.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?