Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu SRO Life Balance  

Author Topic: SRO Life Balance  (Read 8716 times)

Offline Jimbo32

• Very Lite User
SRO Life Balance
« on: Feb 07, 2018, 07:32 »
I'm thinking about putting my hat in the ring for instant SRO. I'm an engineer with about 9 years of experience, 7 at my plant. I was asked to go into ops a few years ago, and I turned it down because it wasn't what I wanted at the time.

Now I'm thinking about it again. I don't have any problems with the duties/responsibilities of SRO; my primary dilemma is the impact on my wife and kids (3 kids under 6). We have 5 crews, and the ops schedule is a 35 day rotation, 12 hour shifts switching between days and nights. Does this mess with your family? My wife is concerned about losing normalcy and being on a weird schedule that doesn't align with a 5 day work week. I think it will take some getting used to, but it seems like we might just have a new normal.

So what are your thoughts? Is SRO something you'd recommend for someone with a young family?

TVA

Re: SRO Life Balance
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2018, 09:56 »
I did it and would do it all over again.

Offline tolstoy

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2018, 06:25 »
Every SRO I know has given their life to the company store. Not that that is always bad. But it's always true.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2018, 07:09 »
Every SRO I know has given their life to the company store. Not that that is always bad. But it's always true.

every former SRO (hell, even the ones with the "equivalency diploma") that I know in the DnD world is doing quite well for themselves, and their families,...

so, the conjecture would be that even after leaving the "company store", that SRO is worth the investment,...

8)
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2018, 07:10 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

TVA

« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2018, 09:07 »

Are you or have you ever been an SRO?

Offline tolstoy

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2018, 03:10 »

Are you or have you ever been an SRO?
No. Not for me.

TVA

« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2018, 04:33 »
No. Not for me.

So why are you commenting?

Offline Jimbo32

• Very Lite User
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2018, 06:33 »
I did it and would do it all over again.

Can I assume that you have/had kids and a family that would agree?

TVA

« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2018, 08:20 »
Absolutely

TVA

« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2018, 08:22 »
Raised two great kids and am still married after 30 years. I missed some stuff but not a whole lot

Offline Jimbo32

• Very Lite User
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2018, 09:46 »
Raised two great kids and am still married after 30 years. I missed some stuff but not a whole lot

Thanks!

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2018, 01:18 »
Just asking about shift work in general would have been enough. Doesn’t matter if you’re an SRO, CRS, RO, EO, HP or Chem Tech. Shift work is shift work....although, the control room is the last place I’d personally want to spend 12 hours locked up in every duty shift.
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2018, 01:20 by Bonds 25 »
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2018, 01:31 »
You will be working less days a year due to shift work.....and making a lot more $$. However, being an SRO isn't your normal fancy pants desk job.
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

TVA

« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2018, 08:26 »
I have never been anywhere that an SRO only works a normal shift.
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2018, 05:54 by TVA »

Offline Jimbo32

• Very Lite User
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2018, 04:22 »
Thanks everyone for your responses! I expect to be on shiftwork for the foreseeable future if I get into ops. We do have some older SROs that work in procedures, EP, engineering, etc., but that's normally after a lot of time on shift. It's not in my near future.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2018, 05:33 »
While the schedule doesn't align with a "normal" workweek, with your schedule, you'll probably have 7 consecutive days off every cycle, which means, with some planning, you get a short vacation every month, or take a couple extra days off and get two weeks off. I wouldn't plan on getting much done away from work on your work days though.

TVA

« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2018, 08:54 »
When I needed someone to cover me I never had an issue with someone swapping shifts with me.

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2018, 10:11 »
you'll probably have 7 consecutive days off every cycle

This all depends on how well the site staffs the Operations Department.  I would say "your rotation schedule will probably have 7 consecutive days off every cycle assuming the Ops crews are well staffed".  Towards the end of my time in Operations, I was only able to get the long offs by using vacation on the days before or after the long off.  If you did not take those days off, you were covering for someone else during your long off.  The summer time was horrible because the majority of people took their vacation during the nights and the off-shift people were not going to cover nights.

During the last few years of my time in Ops, I was also only averaging 54 hours a week because the 10CFR Part 26 requirements would not allow them to work me more.  The money is good but I will never go back to that kind of life style again.
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2018, 10:16 by Nutty Neutron »

TVA

« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2018, 12:04 »
Same here. I train operators now. Less money but I am not supervising anyone and I get weekends off.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?