Career Path > Nuclear Operator

SRO Life Balance

<< < (4/4)

MMM:
While the schedule doesn't align with a "normal" workweek, with your schedule, you'll probably have 7 consecutive days off every cycle, which means, with some planning, you get a short vacation every month, or take a couple extra days off and get two weeks off. I wouldn't plan on getting much done away from work on your work days though.

TVA:
When I needed someone to cover me I never had an issue with someone swapping shifts with me.

thenuttyneutron:

--- Quote from: MMM on Feb 10, 2018, 05:33 ---you'll probably have 7 consecutive days off every cycle

--- End quote ---

This all depends on how well the site staffs the Operations Department.  I would say "your rotation schedule will probably have 7 consecutive days off every cycle assuming the Ops crews are well staffed".  Towards the end of my time in Operations, I was only able to get the long offs by using vacation on the days before or after the long off.  If you did not take those days off, you were covering for someone else during your long off.  The summer time was horrible because the majority of people took their vacation during the nights and the off-shift people were not going to cover nights.

During the last few years of my time in Ops, I was also only averaging 54 hours a week because the 10CFR Part 26 requirements would not allow them to work me more.  The money is good but I will never go back to that kind of life style again.

TVA:
Same here. I train operators now. Less money but I am not supervising anyone and I get weekends off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version