Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Is transitioning to Shipyard RCT selling myself short?

Author Topic: Is transitioning to Shipyard RCT selling myself short?  (Read 5328 times)

Offline KillerK0balt

• Gamer, Aspiring DM, and Lifter of Heavy Things
  • Very Lite User
  • I'm a nerd, but aren't we all? At least a little?
Hello,
I'm currently transitioning to an RCT billet in Bangor, WA. By the time I get out, I will have my supervisor NEC (MMN1(SS) (ELT)), RCT qualification, and (hopefully) my Bachelor's degree in Nuclear science through Excelsior. I'm contemplating becoming a civilian RCT. Is there anyone here that was in a similar situation? If so, did civilian RCT work pan out for you?

Thank you.
Remember kids, never pipette primary coolant by mouth!

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: Is transitioning to Shipyard RCT selling myself short?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2018, 04:12 »
   Getting a job like that will give you a foot in the door where you can see what else is available and move up in that yard or elsewhere. My experience is a little dated so hopefully someone with more current experience will answer. Is there a reason you are focusing on RCT? RCT "been berry berry good to me" but it was just the starter, read through a lot of the Navy Getting out posts that will help. Good luck.

Offline KillerK0balt

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2018, 04:25 »
Mostly my reasoning is I like the Washington area, and I believe its a nice place to raise my kids. In the magical world where reactors leak unicorns and winning lottery tickets, I would like to work at PSNS as an instructor so I can provide more help with my kids at home. I was stationed on an SSBN home ported in Bangor, and all the shenanigans I had to go through for a DMD as well as all the oversight I did as an ELT during sea duty makes RCT seem like a good fit. Not to mention that I will have an RCT and possibly an SRCT qual by the time I get out if I play my cards right.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2018, 04:31 »
Mostly my reasoning is I like the Washington area, and I believe its a nice place to raise my kids.

That's a good reason.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2018, 04:36 »
It's an easy transition.

you will be stuck in the world of "equivalent Co60" for most of your time in the shipyard unless you transition into something else beyond NAVSHIPS 389-0288 Article 108 or Lab RC 0288 Article 108,....

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

TVA

« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2018, 07:54 »
Your reasoning is dead on

Offline KillerK0balt

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2018, 08:20 »
Thank you all for the prompt response. Just wanted to make sure the teachers here at RCTQS weren't blowing smoke up my rear. I just hope my pay doesn't get affected too much when I transition, but at least overtime can compensate (hopefully). If any of you all are at Bangor, I'll see you in April.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2018, 09:33 »
Thank you all for the prompt response. Just wanted to make sure the teachers here at RCTQS weren't blowing smoke up my rear. I just hope my pay doesn't get affected too much when I transition, but at least overtime can compensate (hopefully). If any of you all are at Bangor, I'll see you in April.

that is the sea change of all time,...

Navy nukes worrying that their take home pay will decrease when they transition to CIVPAC,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2018, 03:30 »
take home pay could always decrease.  but $ per hour worked is always better in civlant.  I think I was making about  2 bucks an hour out on the sub and in the shipyard...all the OT I could ever want.  Of course the Navy kept insisting I was making over 100K a year because of all the...ahem...benefits.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?