Career Path > Navy:Getting Out

Is transitioning to Shipyard RCT selling myself short?

(1/2) > >>

KillerK0balt:
Hello,
I'm currently transitioning to an RCT billet in Bangor, WA. By the time I get out, I will have my supervisor NEC (MMN1(SS) (ELT)), RCT qualification, and (hopefully) my Bachelor's degree in Nuclear science through Excelsior. I'm contemplating becoming a civilian RCT. Is there anyone here that was in a similar situation? If so, did civilian RCT work pan out for you?

Thank you.

Marlin:
   Getting a job like that will give you a foot in the door where you can see what else is available and move up in that yard or elsewhere. My experience is a little dated so hopefully someone with more current experience will answer. Is there a reason you are focusing on RCT? RCT "been berry berry good to me" but it was just the starter, read through a lot of the Navy Getting out posts that will help. Good luck.

KillerK0balt:
Mostly my reasoning is I like the Washington area, and I believe its a nice place to raise my kids. In the magical world where reactors leak unicorns and winning lottery tickets, I would like to work at PSNS as an instructor so I can provide more help with my kids at home. I was stationed on an SSBN home ported in Bangor, and all the shenanigans I had to go through for a DMD as well as all the oversight I did as an ELT during sea duty makes RCT seem like a good fit. Not to mention that I will have an RCT and possibly an SRCT qual by the time I get out if I play my cards right.

Marlin:

--- Quote from: KillerK0balt on Feb 19, 2018, 04:25 ---Mostly my reasoning is I like the Washington area, and I believe its a nice place to raise my kids.

--- End quote ---

That's a good reason.

GLW:
It's an easy transition.

you will be stuck in the world of "equivalent Co60" for most of your time in the shipyard unless you transition into something else beyond NAVSHIPS 389-0288 Article 108 or Lab RC 0288 Article 108,....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version