Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu What are my options? honeypot

Author Topic: What are my options?  (Read 4910 times)

Offline Sadawg04

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
What are my options?
« on: Feb 27, 2018, 12:00 »
Hello I was looking for some input / advice. I graduate in May with an Associates Degree in Nuclear Engineering Technology. Before I go commiting anywhere what options do I have? I feel my school really lacks telling me these things. I know I could go commercial and work in a Nuclear facility. If I wanted to do outage work how would someone like me get into that? Also I could work for sub contractors but how does one find out these things? I know there are waste processing facilities and fuel fabrication facilities but we never really learned any of that. We touched on it but could I get jobs in places like that and how would you go about it? Also should I consider joining the Navy to be a nuke? I just am not sure where to take my career once I step foot out of school. Thanks for any advice.
« Last Edit: Feb 27, 2018, 12:01 by Sadawg04 »

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
Re: What are my options?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2018, 07:44 »
The first questions I would have would be 1. Have you been able to ask any of these questions of your counselor?  2. What did you see as your long range goals when you went into this field of study?  3. Have you contacted any of the big contractors in the industry (BHI, D&Z, etc...) with any of these questions?

I ask these because they are the first things that came to mind while reading your questions.  I'm not familiar with what your particular degree covers or I'd comment more directly, I'm sorry.  No matter what, I wish you the best in your information & job quest. 
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline Sadawg04

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2018, 05:34 »
The first questions I would have would be 1. Have you been able to ask any of these questions of your counselor?  2. What did you see as your long range goals when you went into this field of study?  3. Have you contacted any of the big contractors in the industry (BHI, D&Z, etc...) with any of these questions?

I ask these because they are the first things that came to mind while reading your questions.  I'm not familiar with what your particular degree covers or I'd comment more directly, I'm sorry.  No matter what, I wish you the best in your information & job quest.

Hey man. Thanks for attempting to answer and I appreciate it. My professor actually left and took a job being a senior reactor operator instructor in a different country located in the United Emirates. Unfortunately I was unable to really get to talk to him before I left.

Offline stkeele

• Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2018, 02:06 »
The first question you need to ask yourself is what career path interests you the most. Do you want to be a radiation protection technician, a reactor/facility operator, a reactor/nuclear engineer, or do you want to serve on a nuclear sub/ship. With the degree you specified I would most likely think you would be interested in being a nuclear engineer or a reactor operator. After deciding your career path there are some steps to take which were specified by Nuclear NASCAR. To do outages you would want to get a hold of BHI. For power plant work as an operator or engineer you would want to watch job sites for any postings that fit the criteria you are interested in. If your unsure what to do your best bet might be to get an entry level position in the nuclear industry to get your foot in the door. Then when you get to a plant or a DOE complex you can see what each job entails and decide what route will work best for you. Once you get a job I would definitely recommend continuing your education towards a Bachelor's degree. It will open more doors than your associates will. Hope this helps and good luck   

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2018, 03:01 »
I know there are waste processing facilities and fuel fabrication facilities but we never really learned any of that. We touched on it but could I get jobs in places like that and how would you go about it?

Although part of nuclear these typically have different skill sets even for those who cross over such as RadCon techs. There is also national labs and medical facilities that can fit into nuclear among others. Have you talked to any recruiters? Does you college have career counselors or placement services?

Also should I consider joining the Navy to be a nuke?

The Navy is a military service make sure you understand this and the phrase "needs of the Navy" yours will be subordinated to that. The Navy can open doors and it is something I am glad I have but am not sure I would make the same decision today. YMMV
« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2018, 06:41 by Marlin »

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2018, 06:33 »

Hey man. Thanks for attempting to answer and I appreciate it. My professor actually left and took a job being a senior reactor operator instructor in a different country located in the United Emirates. Unfortunately I was unable to really get to talk to him before I left.

You'll notice that I'm not the only one who mentioned counselors when replying to you.  There's a reason for that.  Your professors main job is to teach your class.  While some of that teaching comes from their experiences and stories that they pass on the main thing they need to do is impart knowledge to their students on the subject being taught.  The job of the counselor(s) is to help you with what you are asking here.  They are there to help you navigate through school and also into your career after school.  They should be able to lay out a lot if not all of what you ask.

I hope you understand that I wasn't attempting to answer.  Sometimes to get a clearer picture questions have to be asked and the ones I posed are ones that you will eventually have to answer, even if only to yourself.  Best of luck and let's keep the conversation going, either here so that it can be available to help others in the future or via PM if you so desire.

Peace,
Tom
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2018, 08:04 »
wit watt little aye no, yore degree is fore "prospective nuclear plant workers at the technician, maintenance, and non-licensed operations level", sew that is ware yew want two apply in order too engage those tools in you're brite n shiny tule box two good use. that is the nuclear venue witch yore degree is tailored.
iffen yins wanna bee a contractor, bee a ware that the rules four moving from plant to plant have changed since some fleet operators aren't using n.e.i. and the pads system. also, yer degree will knot qualify you four much of a r.p.tek job, basically an edumakated s.o.p. monitor.

wood yew bee able two work at a waste, fuel, oar major component facility? may bee, butt you currant qualifications get you inn as a knuckle dragger.
batter fallow the previous posters wit there knowledge for nuclear nascent such axe yore self.... tawk too the counselors.
« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2018, 08:06 by SloGlo »
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2018, 03:07 »
Hello I was looking for some input / advice............

Your successful degree completion indicates you are trainable,....

You cannot know what you want to do until you work it and figure out what you do and do not like ergo, you may really like your first choice and stick with it or you may take 5 - 10 years to settle on what's best for you (if "nuclear" is what's best),....

outage work is divided into disciplines, so go here: https://www.nukeworker.com/job/list_companies.php and then read through the possibilities and submit your resume accordingly,...

waste processors, labs and related are listed in the above link, fuel fabricators not as much,  Areva (Richland) comes to mind, not listed would be URENCO and BWXT,...

You should never consider the NNPP (Navy) unless you want to operate an engineering space,....

on a warship,...

at sea,...

on or under the ocean waves,....

far away from kith and kin....

a lot,...

OBTW,.... good luck,...
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2018, 03:08 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

TVA

« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2018, 12:38 »
Getting a degree does not prove a person is trainable

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2018, 01:43 »

buzzkill,...

however,...

you typed "prove",...

I typed "indicates",...

absolutes are time bombs on the internet,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2018, 04:57 »
a degree in theater will indicate the ability two take direction.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?