Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Career path in nuclear sector for graduate with NDT and inspection certificatio honeypot

Author Topic: Career path in nuclear sector for graduate with NDT and inspection certificatio  (Read 2329 times)

Offline Glenn_Hugh

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com

I have a B.Sc. in Nuclear Science which I obtained nearly a decade ago. My undergraduate studies doesn't focus much on nuclear and reactor engineering training but I did learn a lot of fundamental topics like atomic physics, nuclear physics, radiation detection, radiochemistry, health physics, and some introductory course on nuclear reactor type and technology.

My country doesn't have nuclear power plant, and there is a very limited position in my country's nuclear technology research institute. So, I did my non-destructive testing (NDT) training shortly after my graduation and now I'm certified as level 2 NDT inspector in ultrasonic testing, radiography and magnetic particle inspection, and I also a certified Radiation Protection Officer. I mainly work in fabrication yard, shipyard, offshore installation facility, and conventional power plant inspecting welds on pipes and pressure vessels, casting products, lifting tools, and once in awhile get the opportunity to inspect components like turbine blade, and subsea valves. I'm eager to get into nuclear industry but haven't any chance to get in mainly because there is no nuclear power plant in my country.

But anyway, my country is planning to go nuclear, so I'm considering to do my M.Sc. in Nuclear Engineering so that I could work in the nuclear industry as a nuclear engineer or inspection engineer in the nuclear industry.

What is the prospect of being an inspection engineer in the nuclear industry? What would I expect to do in the inspection of nuclear power plant like during construction or in-service inspection?

I'm thinking of working abroad to gain some experience in nuclear industry since I have not yet heard of any progress on my country's nuclear power program. Is it possible for a non-citizen to work in a nuclear plant in another foreign country as a nuclear engineer or working on project during construction or outage?

And, normally, what does a nuclear engineer do?

I'm happy to listen to any advice or experience sharing from everyone here.

Many thanks. :)
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2018, 07:09 by Glenn_Hugh »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?