Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu The US Navy Should Start Weaning its Reactors off Bomb-Grade Uranium honeypot

Author Topic: The US Navy Should Start Weaning its Reactors off Bomb-Grade Uranium  (Read 1684 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!

Chimera

Wow . . . I wonder what the author would consider to be an optimal refueling cycle for a Navy warship.  Nowhere in the article does the author mention the strategic reasons for the high-enrichment cores and the advantages they offer.  I wonder if the road techs could get involved in the refueling cycles for the Navy - all them ships every two years?

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Wow . . . I wonder what the author would consider to be an optimal refueling cycle for a Navy warship.  Nowhere in the article does the author mention the strategic reasons for the high-enrichment cores and the advantages they offer.  I wonder if the road techs could get involved in the refueling cycles for the Navy - all them ships every two years?

I don't think this has any wheels. The new Columbia class of missile boats will not need a refueling for the life of the submarine. This allows making mission commitments with fewer subs due to much shorter maintenance periods in the shipyards. I believe the fourth and fifth block of Virginia class of fast attack submarines will also be life of the boat, greater than 30 years.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
I believe the fourth and fifth block of Virginia class of fast attack submarines will also be life of the boat, greater than 30 years.

Well maybe >30 years I heard or read of new captains being told to "Drive it like you stole it". EFPH like MPG YMMV.  8)

Boomers probably. Fast attacks maybe not so much.

[coffee]

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?