Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Indian Point 2 Begins Final Refueling, Maintenance Outage Before Retirement

Author Topic: Indian Point 2 Begins Final Refueling, Maintenance Outage Before Retirement  (Read 3586 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Makes my heart sad.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Some of my best stories come from that plant...
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
Pretty sad...Ignorant Andrew Cuomo...just like his dad.

Offline 61nomad

• Moderate User
My first Senior HP job.  $12/hr and $50 a day in 1987? with NSS.  Everybody warned me not to go there, but I actually enjoyed the whole experience except for the high rent. Did the next outage also with Bartlett.  Big lunch/break room and nobody bothered you on your 3 hours off.  Yes, it was a hot plant and you could get burned out for the year before the year was over.
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2018, 10:47 by 61nomad »

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
1980, 2nd Senior HP job (yes it was HP back then). $8/hr. $39/day per diem.  They had just shutdown because the fancoolers leaked so bad that they flooded containment with river water and shorted out the NI detectors. Everything was contaminated.It seemed as though every job in a CA was respirators required. Respiranto was a designated language. RCP seals leaked and some valves leaked creating high dose rate boron stalactites everywhere. The ventilation supply duct to the subpile was >5 REM/hr contact from the contamination on the outside. Most of the cubicles in the PAB were locked because they were Hi Rad, some just from the dose rates on the floor. 3 REM/qtr limit, they would take you to 2.5 REM, and then you could do it again next qtr and next and next. It created thousands of jobs, and will create thousands more until the D&D is complete. There were lots of great restaurants in the area back then, operated by families that knew how to cook the old fashioned way.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
1980, 2nd Senior HP job (yes it was HP back then). $8/hr. $39/day per diem.  They had just shutdown because the fancoolers leaked so bad that they flooded containment with river water and shorted out the NI detectors. Everything was contaminated.It seemed as though every job in a CA was respirators required. Respiranto was a designated language. RCP seals leaked and some valves leaked creating high dose rate boron stalactites everywhere. The ventilation supply duct to the subpile was >5 REM/hr contact from the contamination on the outside. Most of the cubicles in the PAB were locked because they were Hi Rad, some just from the dose rates on the floor. 3 REM/qtr limit, they would take you to 2.5 REM, and then you could do it again next qtr and next and next. It created thousands of jobs, and will create thousands more until the D&D is complete. There were lots of great restaurants in the area back then, operated by families that knew how to cook the old fashioned way.

Sounds like fun if I were 20 to 30 years younger. I did the IP3 SG changeout and loved the area too.  IP3 was run much differently and we even had one tech go over to IP2 because he was bored with IP3.

I will try not to be too political but this is their Governor. I would say more but this is not PolySci. I live in a red state and his state has my pity. Those closing purely out of economics I understand, demagoguery not so much.

Governor Cuomo said. “I am proud to have secured this agreement with Entergy to responsibly close the facility 14 years ahead of schedule to protect the safety of all New Yorkers.

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-announces-10th-proposal-2017-state-state-closure-indian-point-nuclear-power

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
My first IP II outage was also in 1980 with Numanco.  It was $8 an hour and $33 a day perdiem.  It was impressive to the water mark on the basement of the reactor building where it flooded.  Made it through that one.

Another time I ended up as a Numanco shift tech (this was they hired the bunch of new house techs the new nothing).  A good year that also entailed Westinghouse's first try at nozzle dams.  That didn't go so well.  Great bunch of characters including Greenfeld, Johnson, Oetken, Bruce Murray (Sky Dog), Pettinarri, Dinch, Dannielle, Gladney, Marg, Crazy George Alger, Short Stick, and the list goes on.  That was also the time frame the Henches were in charge and Fish Lips was their Toady.

Last trip was as the ALARA rep for Westinghouse outage management.  Was on nights and saw the start of Dessert Storm on the monitors the steam generator guys had.

Lots of rems and memories in that place.  Good place to crash was above the chem lab.
LM

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
Hey, Laundry Man, sorry to hear that you were shortchanged $6/day per diem. Hope it didn't cut into your drinking budget! Per diem went to $44/day in '81 and stayed there for a long time. Don't forget Geyster (I know you didn't), Rannels, Crump, Dichara, Busch, Barnes, Nestor, the Colvilles, Freddy Wolf. And the supervisors - Visosky and Vogel. The catacombs in Unit 1 were something else. I think that there may still be people sleeping there. Talk about skeletons in the closet!

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Spring 1978. Set off the equivalent of a stick of dynamite in the S/G Channel Head (supposed to be in the tubes, but there was this boilermaker that didn't understand how a cam lock mechanism worked.) The sound of the blast was our first clue. The sound of the blast cover hitting the opposite wall was our second. The thick black smoke rolling out of the manway was our exit cue, but our inexperienced (and many other adjectives I don't want to print) supervisor (whose name is listed in a previous post) wanted an air sample before we left (!) That was when the fun really started. Ah, the good old days! All for 6.50 and 30.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline 61nomad

• Moderate User
There were lots of great restaurants in the area back then, operated by families that knew how to cook the old fashioned way.
That was my favorite part of working there.  You had gourmet restaurants in nondescript venues plus diners, delis, pizza joints, chinese take out, etc.  There is/was no place like it.  Amazing deli sandwiches ruined me.
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2018, 02:38 by 61nomad »

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
Hey, Laundry Man, sorry to hear that you were shortchanged $6/day per diem. Hope it didn't cut into your drinking budget! Per diem went to $44/day in '81 and stayed there for a long time. Don't forget Geyster (I know you didn't), Rannels, Crump, Dichara, Busch, Barnes, Nestor, the Colvilles, Freddy Wolf. And the supervisors - Visosky and Vogel. The catacombs in Unit 1 were something else. I think that there may still be people sleeping there. Talk about skeletons in the closet!

Geyster is fine and still does some contract work.  Both Nestor's are gone, Pettinarri is gone, Pete is gone, not sure about some of the others.  The Covilles were good guys as was Freddy.  Frank was the first respirator supervisor I knew who really pushed the breezers now commonly known as a paprs for radiological work.  Bob yelled at us one evening for drinking beer in the parking lot at the plant around Christmas, Feronis deli gave us a few cases for being such good customers.  George had the unit 1 routine surveys which guaranteed you wouldn't see him for the day.  Tom Sluugerbocker also did unit 1 surveys if I recall correctly.  He is gone also.  Since I am in Barnwell SC on occasion, I am going to have to visit the waste site and check if any of those LSA boxes sent down back then are floaters yet.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
IP3 was my first road job in 91, after three local jobs starting in 89.  Talk about culture shock.  My 2nd road job was STP... Two worlds that couldn't be more different.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?