Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuke/Seal? honeypot

Author Topic: Nuke/Seal?  (Read 7353 times)

Offline jbthemaster

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Nuke/Seal?
« on: Apr 07, 2018, 11:28 »
Ideally I'd like to be a seal, but I'm signed to be a nuke. I'm to be sent to boot camp in November. I know little to nothing and I'm looking on advice from someone that could guide me on what they'd do in my situation.
Am I able to try buds and if I fail I go in as a nuke?

TVA

Re: Nuke/Seal?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2018, 10:07 »
What exactly does this have to do with being a nukeworker?

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2018, 10:44 »
Ideally I'd like to be a seal, but I'm signed to be a nuke. I'm to be sent to boot camp in November. I know little to nothing and I'm looking on advice from someone that could guide me on what they'd do in my situation.

I doubt it. They will have invested in your basic training in rate most likely you will end up working in the conventional Navy in rate. If you were a SEAL recruiter who is looking for someone with the emotional and mental toughness to endure the SEAL training how would you look on someone who views it as a backup. I will not say it is out of the question but certainly not likely. "Needs of the Navy" will supercede the needs of the individual.

TVA

« Reply #3 on: Apr 08, 2018, 11:32 »
They dont recruit SEALs that way

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2018, 11:57 »
They dont recruit SEALs that way

Seriously you are a Navy SEAL recruiter expert now? Are you saying a washout in one Navy Program is attractive to another elite community? Your history in the Navy will dictate your future it is not a fresh beginning.

::)

TVA

« Reply #5 on: Apr 08, 2018, 12:44 »
Nope but thats not how they select SEALs

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #6 on: Apr 08, 2018, 01:20 »
back inn a day of u.d.t., they looked at grades, s.a.t.s, athletics (especially swim team) from hi scrool.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #7 on: Apr 08, 2018, 01:32 »

We are not talking about the initial selection process. The Navy has separated servicemen because they were not successful in their program. This is not the Navy of the 70s and 80s that had room to place washouts into a much larger Navy.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #8 on: Apr 08, 2018, 02:15 »

ideally, you should have signed on the line for what you wanted,...

but, talk to your recruiter,....

if you do not like that answer,...

write a letter to your recruiter's boss,...

if you don't like that answer,...

talk to your congressman,...

if you don't like that answer,...

reneg on your nuke commitment and try for the SEAL program later,...

or Army Rangers,....

or USAF TACP,...

or any of a plethora of SPEC OPS specialties,...

or be a Marine, they were SPEC OPS before anyone else conjured the term SPEC OPS,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: Apr 08, 2018, 07:48 »
When I enlisted, nukes were expressly prohibited from participating in BUDS in boot camp, although that was the mid-90s. I believe now SpecOps has their own ratings, so nukes still need not apply.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2018, 01:53 »
Seriously you are a Navy SEAL recruiter expert now? Are you saying a washout in one Navy Program is attractive to another elite community? Your history in the Navy will dictate your future it is not a fresh beginning.

::)
I'm not sure why you are attacking TVA for his post. For starters, he's correct - if you want to be a SEAL, you go into the Navy for that rate specifically. Secondly, they have not in the past and still don't now allow nukes to transfer out of the community to go to BUDS.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2018, 10:32 »
My buddy did it after he had been in the Nav for awhile.  He had to reenlist and volunteer for more years.  One way to go Seals is to come in as another rate and then cross over.  It may not be as prevalent as it was but I'm pretty sure it is a viable way to go Seal.  I think alot of guys who come in Seal and fail out eventually use this way to come back later and go seal. 

I think the reason Marlin is attacking TVA for his posts is the way he always acts like he knows everything about everything..if you haven't noticed. For instance, I was a chemistry tech at one plant, but I don't pretend to know the requirements and how things are at EVERY plant just because I was a chem tech at one plant. 

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2018, 11:09 »
The point is, as a nuke, you will not be allowed to cross rate without doing something to get your NEC pulled, e.g. medical or UCMJ violation. If it's medical, you probably won't be cleared to be a SEAL, if it's a UCMJ issue, you probably won't be able to cross rate into anything leading to SEAL. If the OP wants to be a SEAL, he should enlist for that, not go nuke and try (and fail) to swap over.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2018, 11:40 »
Totally.  If you go in as a less technical rate and want to be a Navy seal eventually maybe that would work.  But go in for sure as a seal if you can get it straight up.  Counting on the Navy to help you do what you want to do after you get in is risky.  But going in to be a Seal without a back-up plan is a bad idea too.  Getting all the way to the end of that pipeline aint no joke.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2018, 04:47 »
I'm not sure why you are attacking TVA for his post. For starters, he's correct - if you want to be a SEAL, you go into the Navy for that rate specifically. Secondly, they have not in the past and still don't now allow nukes to transfer out of the community to go to BUDS.

Though my experience is dated they have taken Nukes into SEALs years ago, I will defer to your current experience on the state of the Navy today. As for TVA, on a forum that is suppose to help and encourage people TVA is a persistently negative Troll.

Offline gb54123

• Very Lite User
« Reply #15 on: Jun 02, 2018, 07:55 »
My life philosophy is the same as the old adage, 'if you take no for an answer, the answer is no.'

In other words, I'm currently stationed at NFAS as an instructor and I personally know a student (ET) who was picked up officer to go to BUDS. He has a rough training record at the start of A school and nothing really stands out too much, other than his PFA scores.

Nothing is impossible, but you are stacking the odds against you if you choose to join as a nuke and cross to SEAL.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #16 on: Jun 03, 2018, 12:49 »
About as close to the truth in a nutshell as you will get thank you gb54123.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?