NukeWorker Menu Resume

Author Topic: Resume  (Read 5699 times)

Offline Alycat

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Resume
« on: Apr 18, 2018, 08:16 »

Hello all,

I am currently pursuing an AAS to work as an electrical tech, though also interested in I&C/I&E and mechanical maintenance. I was wondering what employers (particularly Palo Verde) like to see on resumes in regards to CE or other skills. At the moment I do not really have many skills. My previous job was a Veterinary Technician. Is there anything I can do to become a better candidate for when I graduate?

Thank you in advance!  :)

Offline Sadawg04

• Light User
Re: Resume
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18, 2018, 09:10 »
Your degree and education is your biggest selling point. Its not necessarily about the Nuclear experience you have but its all about how you sell yourself. Your resume should represent you. Are you a NRC scholar? is there any type of special certificate you could get if you maintain all A's and B's? Have you ever done any NANTeL courses? Are you Poss or Mass or Tech or whatever the pre employment test is are you qualified for that facility? Include anything those along those lines. If you get a interview you need to relate your answers around how you are a team player and how you show good communication. Integrity is also great to mention as well how your situation was resolved in a safe manner. Hope this helps.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2018, 10:07 »
Experienced where? How many resumes have you reviewed or recommended for interviewing?

Instead of attempting to discredit Sadawg04 why not contribute to the discussion by answering the original posters questions?  Playing the part of the crabby old man of the neighborhood is really beneath you my friend. 
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

TVA

« Reply #3 on: Apr 19, 2018, 06:25 »
I have probably helped more people than anyone here.
My point was if the individual has never been hired in this industry AND has never reviewed a resume as a hiring manager he shouldnt be giving advice.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2018, 09:43 »
My point was if the individual has never been hired in this industry AND has never reviewed a resume as a hiring manager he shouldnt be giving advice.

BS

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #5 on: Apr 20, 2018, 07:26 »
Taken on average with help/harass as the equation, that is simply the most comical statement ever posted on the site.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #6 on: Apr 20, 2018, 08:18 »
Taken on average with help/harass as the equation, that is simply the most comical statement ever posted on the site.
harassment kin bee considered help, the currant term is coaching.
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2018, 08:18 by SloGlo »
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #7 on: Apr 20, 2018, 08:35 »

thank you for the coaching,... :P ;) :) 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #8 on: Apr 20, 2018, 10:56 »
I have met some harassing coaches before but if your coaching is harassment you need coaching on your coaching.

(OK, now I have a headache...)
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2018, 10:56 by RDTroja »
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #9 on: Apr 20, 2018, 11:03 »

.....you need coaching on your coaching.....

thank you for the coaching coaching,... :P ;) :) 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Alycat

• Lurker
« Reply #10 on: Apr 20, 2018, 11:48 »
It was helpful. Thank you! NRC scholar, is that the scholarship? I haven't taken any NANTeL courses, not quite sure what they are. I tried looking them up but it was asking for employer info so couldn't access. So far I have been practicing MASS testing. Any suggestions for good practice tests that are fairly cheap?

Offline Sadawg04

• Light User
« Reply #11 on: Apr 21, 2018, 09:09 »
How I passed the Mass was took pracrice tests on assembling objects. I also made flash cards of weird conversions like how many chains are in a rod? How many rods are in a furlong? Things like that and studied them for the test. If your efficient and familiar with the conversions you will be efficient doing it within the time limit.

TechSuper

« Reply #12 on: Apr 23, 2018, 04:40 »
I do not know what is being explained to this young individual but for all intents and purposes he needs to ensure that the courses/curriculum he is taking or is going to take is based on the work that he hopes to be able to perform.  He/she should be diligent on ensuring that the positions he is striving to obtain are met by the training he/she has completed.  Get the pre-requisite training before applying for the position posted.  If an interview is granted go there looking neat and professional.  The interview is the process that makes or breaks the opportunity given.  Answer the questions asked honestly, don't try to bull_ _ _ t the interviewer, because it does not work.  Impress them with credentials that meet the demand.  If nothing else the experience will be the eye opener for the next one if you are not successful on the first one.  ANSWER THE QUESTIONS ASKED, don't elaborate, simple and quick. Take a second to think about the approach to answering the question, then answer it.  If you don't know, say you don't know.  If you are unsure, state that you don't know.  Better to be honest about your knowledge level rather than make a fool.  These suggestions of course are only mine and should not be interpreted as being solemn.  I have performed many interviews and of course have been through many, and this is only my advice.  All interviews are different and all interviewers are different, some very precise, some very professional, some just want to impress the interviewee.  This becomes very obvious, very quickly.  My advice is to maintain your posture and don't let a bad interviewer ruin your day, but be professional regardless.

TechSuper

« Reply #13 on: Apr 24, 2018, 05:48 »
A couple of adder statements, do your homework, know what the position is, important aspects of the Company that has the position, and determine how you fit into their opportunity.  Always present yourself, offering a shake of the hand, unless indicated otherwise.  Introduce yourself, and make sure you know the contact persons name and position.  Also, be on time, a few, and I mean a few, minutes early is better than a few minutes late.  Late will put you one down almost immediately.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?