Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Is there any nuke job that you can have a beard & not be clean shaven? honeypot

Author Topic: Is there any nuke job that you can have a beard & not be clean shaven?  (Read 8832 times)

Offline Tydurden

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
I'm currently in the RCT program and i have a Bachelor degree. I want to get the nuclear field but I look ridiculous being clean shaven. I have no problem being very professional and neatly trimmed. I understand that jobs involving respirators require clean shaves. I also have been told that there are other nuke jobs I qualify for that aren't necessarily RCT jobs.
So my question is: Is there any jobs I qualify for in the nuke field where I don't have to be clean shaven or is that basically impossible in this field?

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
Janitor, possibly admin.

Really though, any job that doesn't require you to wear a respirator or SCBA mask should be ok with a beard. I'm not sure if you're qualified for them, though, as a lot of those kinds of positions require experience in positions that use face masks.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
depends moor on the sight's procedures than the job description.  p.a.p.r. usage has bin a boon too beards, n it seams moor places are using them in loo of respirators requiring facial seals.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
....So my question is: Is there any jobs I qualify for in the nuke field where I don't have to be clean shaven or is that basically impossible in this field?

There are lots (of jobs),...

There are almost as many restrictions on facial hair as there are licensed facilities,...

the most lenient licensees will require you to understand you may be asked to shed your facial hair at any moment the licensee deems you need to shed it,...

ergo, you show up to work looking like Steve Smith, 10 minutes later you look like Patrick McKenna,...

at the end of the day, you ask prior to accepting employment, and consider that answer as part of your decision to accept employment or not to accept employment,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
I'm currently in the RCT program and i have a Bachelor degree. I want to get the nuclear field but I look ridiculous being clean shaven. I have no problem being very professional and neatly trimmed. I understand that jobs involving respirators require clean shaves. I also have been told that there are other nuke jobs I qualify for that aren't necessarily RCT jobs.
So my question is: Is there any jobs I qualify for in the nuke field where I don't have to be clean shaven or is that basically impossible in this field?

Any position that would put you on an emergency response team will likely require you to be clean shaven . RadCon, OPs, Security, Maintenance and a lot of engineering types are included in that. Best option would be corporate but for RadCon that would be a Health Physicist.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
lotsa knuckle dragging r.p. tex have facial hair witch does knot match up wit the respirator wearer picture. yes, they may knead two shave four an emergency entrance. ops are inn the same venue. so are maintenance.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
lotsa knuckle dragging r.p. tex have facial hair witch does knot match up wit the respirator wearer picture. yes, they may knead two shave four an emergency entrance. ops are inn the same venue. so are maintenance.

Times change I guess. At one plant an operator protesting the shave policy shaved all of the sealing surfaces leaving him with a rather ridiculous neck beard. Most plants I went to (dated) required emergency team members to shave.

TVA

I cannot think of any for an entry level position

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
I cannot think of any for an entry level position
define entry level.

Offline 61nomad

• Moderate User
Most of the Hanford site wears PAPRs and you can have a beard. Tank farms, however, use SCBA's and you have to be clean shaven to work there as a RCT.

TVA

He is entry level. You are not

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
whale, theirs beards on s.o.p.s, in a.l.a.r.a. offices, awn shielding crues, in maintenance, n.l.o. personnel, n chem tex. whatcha consider entry level?
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2018, 05:51 by SloGlo »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...

whale, theirs beards on s.o.p.s, in a.l.a.r.a. offices, awn shielding crues, in maintenance, n.l.o. personnel, n them rex. area whatcha consider entry level?

I am confused on the confusion between you two,...

my posit would be "it's all moot",...

as best as I can tell the OP has not revisited the site since Reply #4 above,....

although I am peplexed at how TVA can make a post here:  Reply #7 on: Apr 20, 2018, 08:01

AFTER the previous post here:   Reply #6 on: Apr 20, 2018, 12:03

and also after replies #2, #3, #4 & #5?!?!?!?

is TVA actually a Russian Bot posing as a former, highly regarded, SRO/Shift Manager?!?!?!?

how can TVA post AFTER other posters (on the Reply count) but BEFORE other posters (on the time and date stamp)?!?!?!?

is TVA actually botting out of an underground command post, deep in the bowels of a hidden bunker, somewhere under the brick and steel of a nondescript building?!?!?!?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41821359

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-41829537

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-41853131

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-41915295

it boggles the mind,... :P ;) :) 8)

oh yeah, almost forgot,....

sic 4 beercourt,...
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2018, 02:47 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
whale, theirs beards on s.o.p.s, in a.l.a.r.a. offices, awn shielding crues, in maintenance, n.l.o. personnel, n chem tex. whatcha consider entry level?
re reply 12.... aye haight auto correct 😠

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
as a side note, eye witnessed a rad con supervisors meeting too day n 40% where bearded. gist saying...  aye no they're knot entry level 😁
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2018, 06:13 by SloGlo »

TVA

Meter slingers

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
meter slingers aka rad pro, contract n house, have beards frequently inn two daze new clear power plants.
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2018, 10:22 by SloGlo »

Offline Rain Man

• Very Heavy User
  • Constants aren't, variables won't.
Nuke Bos'Un;-)
"Giving power and money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenaged boys." -P.J. O'Rourke

"Politics is the skilled use of blunt instruments"  -Lester B. Pearson

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Meter slingers

meter slingers aka rad pro, contract n house, have beards frequently inn two daze new clear power plants.

Nuke Bos'Un;-)

this thread becomes more moot every passin' day:

indeed, it is in danger of resembling entmoot:

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp

butt wee ain't talking treebeards hear, gist nuke beards 😎

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?