Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu SGPO VS. Instrument Mechanic Trainings

Author Topic: SGPO VS. Instrument Mechanic Trainings  (Read 4803 times)

NOALA_93

SGPO VS. Instrument Mechanic Trainings
« on: Apr 25, 2018, 02:08 »
Hey guys, I am aware that if given the opportunity, I have to decide what is best for myself and my family. I would just like to know in some of your experiences what the work schedule or Work/Life ratio are like for either of these positions? I have a close friend who is currently a SGPO 4th Period and has shared his schedule with me to have a good idea of how they work. Basically 35 day rotations with 7 days off at the end every shift 12 hours and so on...I was wondering How the I&C stacks up against that?

I currently have a first born on the way and really want to know I will see my first born grow. I am not afraid to work or work overtime and simply would just like some realistic feedback.

Thank you all in advance! :D

TVA

Re: SGPO VS. Instrument Mechanic Trainings
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2018, 10:19 »
First...Get a job offer

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #2 on: Apr 27, 2018, 01:52 »
Alot of people love rotating shift work but plenty of people that hate it.  Different places do it differently so that has alot to do with how bad or good it can be.  Some places you do nights one week then days the next, then back to days and so one.  Some places do 2 weeks on nights, then 3 weeks on days (with a training week on days).  I believe there is one plant that does 4 weeks on nights then 6 weeks on days...  Point is ask exactly what the rotation is to find out how it will affect you.  But really you may not know what you like until you try it.  I hate it, but that was because it was one week on nights then one week on days so you were changing every week.  So maybe that 6/4 rotation would be ok.  I don't mind nights, but the switching back and forth every week was terrible.  I and C would be different as well depending on where you work, but mostly day shift I am assuming with some nights and being on call depending  on work load.  I think with I and C you would have a much better chance of being on days.  But you need to ask the hiring guy.  In a sense TVA is right, get a job offer and just roll with it.  Plus getting your foot in the door would be good and you can always move around if you don't like where you are.  And like I said before, you don't truly know whether you will like rotating shiftwork until you do it.  You get long spans of days off but there is one week where you might only get one day off.  My #1 piece of advice is DO NOT buy a house until you are fairly sure you want to keep working there and the plant will continue to operate more than 5 years. Unless you are from the area and will live there regardless.  Maybe some people could chime in here and give us a recent snapshot of what they have going on at their plant and some of the specifics.

TVA

« Reply #3 on: Apr 27, 2018, 05:04 »
More people have received job offers and POSS passing than any two people combined. I taught a guy reactor theory over the internet.
Again get a job offer first. Then worry about that crap. At this point it doesnt matter at all as you havent interviewed or received an offer. I know..
I checked...

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #4 on: Apr 27, 2018, 06:16 »
"More people have received job offers and POSS passing than any two people combined. I taught a guy reactor theory over the internet"

Somebody reread (or rerun) this passage and let me know if it is just me or is this completely nonsensical?

Offline shehane

• Moderate User
  • You never know, do you?
« Reply #5 on: Apr 30, 2018, 09:29 »
If you get any job with shift rotation just make it work for you family.  I had two little ones and was on the 28 day version of the shift schedule you described.  I was on submarines (3 months out 3 in) when they were 3 - 7 years old.  Shift work from 7 to 16 years old.  Just make the most out of the week off every month and stay involved on your time off as much as possible.  You gotta work and pay the bills.  Just the way it is.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be! Dirk Gently

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 30, 2018, 09:32 »

Im a little confused with your reply here??

Me too, does not seem to conform to site rules:

4. Please learn to be respectful, tolerate and support each other.  NukeWorker.com's goal is to help others, not see how many people we can annoy. Do not initiate arguments or tension. This will only cause the triggering of other members and make this site less professional.

[coffee]

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?