Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu X-ray tech looking to change careers honeypot

Author Topic: X-ray tech looking to change careers  (Read 5009 times)

Offline RAD GUY 1

• RAD GUY 1
  • Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
X-ray tech looking to change careers
« on: Apr 30, 2018, 05:20 »
 Greetings, I am new to this website and forum. I am medical Registered Radiologic/MRI Technologist and was hoping someone might be able to help me. I am interested in professions in the Nuclear energy industry. I know this may seem like an extremely weird and or broad scoping question. But is there anyone out there that has even heard of a medical  Rad tech wanting cross over and break into this industry. And if so where , what , how does one go about it. Since my training has incorporated radiation safety, protection and biology. And have had to practice ALARA in a medical setting for the past 15years I figured this would be a logical avenue to go down for a career change. Any help, guidance and or assistance would be greatly appreciated . Thank you very much. 

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
Re: X-ray tech looking to change careers
« Reply #1 on: Apr 30, 2018, 06:27 »
yule take a cut in pay transferring to r.p. in nuke power. best weight too due the change wood bee threw a utility position inn order too get the training kneaded.
last thyme aye new a tech wooo did this was in the 1970s, when the classifications wasn't sew stringent.
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2018, 06:29 by SloGlo »
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline RAD GUY 1

• RAD GUY 1
  • Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Apr 30, 2018, 06:36 »
Thanks for the info.

Offline Sadawg04

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Apr 30, 2018, 06:36 »
You can defiantly do it. You have the fundamental knowledge for radiation protection. I would look into which nuclear facility you want to go to. I would apply and you will be invited to test. Im not exactly sure what pre employment test is RP but like for example there is mass which is for maintenance and Poss for operations. Maybe someone else here has the knowledge on the pre employment test for an RP tech. The key is to find out which EEI test that is and prepare for it. You must pass this test it shows you will succeed through the training program. Once you pass you will be invited to a interview. I wouldnt say go back to school. You may lack some of the knowledge but you have a background for an RP tech. I wish you the best of luck.

Offline RAD GUY 1

• RAD GUY 1
  • Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Apr 30, 2018, 06:55 »
 Thank you very much for the input. Honestly I'm open to just about anything to get my foot in the door. It doesn't have to be RP. Don't get me wrong, I love what I do, I've just been doing patient care for 15 years and would like a change.  I put myself through radiology school as a janitor. Start doing whatever and then test out where and when I can for whatever. So long as I can crack my financial nut and pay bills till I move up? Please forgive my lack of knowledge when it comes to industry vernacular and nomenclature . What is an EEI test? I was thinking about taking a 40hr Radiation Safety Officer on line so at least it shows I'm serious and am willing to do the work as far training. Your thoughts?

Offline Sadawg04

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Apr 30, 2018, 07:18 »
EEI is the edison Electric Institute and they issue battery tests for commercial facilities. When people apply for jobs they have these tests on record. If you pass the tests and everything looks good you will be invited to a interview where you can really show off your skills. Its important you pass the EEI test so when hundreds of people apply for the job they are sent to take the EEI test. If you dont pass you will no longer be considered a candidate. You can retest every 45 days but it depends on the company they all have different rules. If you want to do that online class to put on a resume go for it. I personally wouldn’t worry about it. I can not remember which test RP techs have to take. If you pass the EEI test you need to show off your skills. Tell them how you did your duties safety meantion you know all about ALARA and how you perform your duties with shielding, distance, and time. Its important to showcase any knowledge you have because it shows your trainable and they will put the time and money into training you.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 30, 2018, 07:20 »
Thank you very much for the input. Honestly I'm open to just about anything to get my foot in the door. It doesn't have to be RP. Don't get me wrong, I love what I do, I've just been doing patient care for 15 years and would like a change.  I put myself through radiology school as a janitor. Start doing whatever and then test out where and when I can for whatever. So long as I can crack my financial nut and pay bills till I move up? Please forgive my lack of knowledge when it comes to industry vernacular and nomenclature . What is an EEI test? I was thinking about taking a 40hr Radiation Safety Officer on line so at least it shows I'm serious and am willing to do the work as far training. Your thoughts?

There may be a problem with experience equivalents for commercial power RadCon technician, you will find no matter how much time you have only a fraction will count toward acceptance as an ANSI qualified tech. It can be done but you may be essentially starting over.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #7 on: Apr 30, 2018, 09:38 »
I knew one lady RP she was at Calvert Cliffs '06.  Senior RP who used to zap cancer patients.  She said it was very depressing for obvious reasons.  Not sure what she did to cross over but she did it.  Probably easier to do it back then.....

Offline bsdnuke

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 01:11 »
I recommend you consider going for a radiation therapy dosimetrist specialty.

TVA

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 05:17 »
Face it. He will pass the testing

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 07:40 »
Funny - you're lookin to get out of radiology to go to nuclear - I'm lookin to get out of nuclear and into radiology.
My plant shut down.
Many plants shutting down, especially in northeast.
Nuclear is dying...
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?