Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu swing load nukes for renewables honeypot

Author Topic: swing load nukes for renewables  (Read 2935 times)

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

TVA

Re: swing load nukes for renewables
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 05:21 »
In truth they can’t. PCIOMR

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 07:11 »
In truth they can’t. PCIOMR
knot no wing pciomr acronym. butt, if mammory serves, eye think b.v. u1 wood dew swing loads inn the early 80s.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 07:12 by SloGlo »
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

TVA

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 08:33 »
They are capable but they cant. In the 80s they busted fuel a lot and discovered pellet cladding interaction due to the stress the fuel puts on the cladding. Whoever wrote the article has no clue as to how a reactor really works

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 08:36 »
We load follow, mostly on the weekends during the spring melt off. In fact, we reduced power to 85% last weekend for "Economic Dispatch". Pretty easy for a boiler actually. Of course they don't curtail wind production....they ask "make" the Nuke to run at a reduced power instead.

https://transmission.bpa.gov/business/operations/Wind/baltwg.aspx
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

mjd

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 10:57 »
The argument about nuke's ability to swing is crazy (navy plants)... of course they can, but it requires different fuel loads than today when they try to base load. The crazy part is why would a utility swing the cheapest fuel cost plant in their system? Swing (down-power) the highest fuel cost plant first, and it probably ain't the nuke. The problem is being forced to buy the temporaries when available. And with big PWRs with B reactivity control, towards EOL swinging generates huge amounts of let-down waste chasing Xe. That waste processing cost has to be factored in. In a mostly nuke grid, like France, obviously some nukes are swinging... but those swing plants have fuel loaded to support it.

TVA

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 11:04 »
Exactly. It’s nearly impossible to swing a PWR especially in the last 14 to 18 weeks of a cycle. I remember WBN was discussing lowering power for a weeping MSR Relief and pretty much they determined any lowering of power more than 5% would cause a xenon transient so bad they might as well just shutdown. BWR arent so bad but towards EOC the reactivity coefficients are so close to zero it isnt recommended. Plus PCIOMR is a bitch

Offline tr

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 10:16 »
One reason a utility would swing a plant is negative pricing, either for that plant or to get paid to take some other utilities excess wind/solar generation.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?