Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Idaho school can’t find small bit of weapons-grade plutonium honeypot

Author Topic: Idaho school can’t find small bit of weapons-grade plutonium  (Read 3419 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!

TVA

All Plutonium is technically weapons grade

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
All Plutonium is technically weapons grade

So blended reactor fuel is weapons grade plutonium? PuBe neutron sources are weapons grade plutonium? Commercial reactors produce and burn plutonium is that weapons grade plutonium?

::)

atomicarcheologist

Well, if it's 238, it's content is 1.712000E+013pCi.

Chimera

The article makes it sound like they lost a source.

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
"All Plutonium is technically weapons grade"

Except Pu-240 is actually a bomb poison. Plutonium is not all 239......
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

atomicarcheologist

Plutonium is not all 239......
If it's 239, then the content is 6.205000E+010pCi.

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
Its a big deal to the NRC because (I'm assuming its Pu-239 since this article is more about fear mongering than giving real details) Pu-239 is Special Nuclear Material. I know first hand how serious the NRC is about SNM as we accidentally threw away an old SRM detector in an open top liner and sent it to US Ecology for burial . The detector is SNM due to small amounts of Uranium-235. 

atomicarcheologist

Well, it's more radioactive if it's 238. Which is why I went there. That, and that was the first isotope in the listing on RadPro Calculator. Because I figured fear mongering was an issue also.  No probs.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
The article makes it sound like they lost a source.

"All Plutonium is technically weapons grade"

Except Pu-240 is actually a bomb poison. Plutonium is not all 239......

If it's 239, then the content is 6.205000E+010pCi.

ya know for a bunch of nukes and ex-Navy types it's almost embarrassing you guys can't remember how to do the most basic research before spouting off:

https://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/event-status/event/2017/20171023en.html

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
Me pointing out that all plutonium is not weapons grade and providing the reason why was spouting?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 06:50 by Bonds 25 »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Me pointing out that all plutonium is not weapons grade and providing the reason why was spouting?

I'm saying it's a bunch of back and forth plus some tit for tat (this is News and Discussions not polysci or some of the other general but open range forums) instead of what, when, how bad, how not so bad, and discussion,....

which (quite literally) a mere 27 seconds of keyword google search could have educated anyone reading our forum on the facts of the event versus the edumicated, swag loaded, facts bereft, lack of heft news article,...

we're nukes, it's what we do, at least it's supposed to be what we do,...

I'm just saying,.... :P ;) :) 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
Sorry for correcting TVA.....which had zero to do with the article or the lack of "basic searching". I simply could not let him go on with life believing all plutonium is "weapons grade".

atomicarcheologist

I'm saying it's a bunch of back and forth plus some tit for tat (this is News and Discussions not polysci or some of the other general but open range forums) instead of what, when, how bad, how not so bad, and discussion,....

which (quite literally) a mere 27 seconds of keyword google search could have educated anyone reading our forum on the facts of the event versus the edumicated, swag loaded, facts bereft, lack of heft news article,...

we're nukes, it's what we do, at least it's supposed to be what we do,...

I'm just saying,.... :P ;) :) 8)
Chastised and chastened. A 62 mCi Pu239 source will yield1.8224391081835 mR/hr at  1".
Pu 238 is an alpha emitter, so dose is not so much a consideration.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 08:13 by Atomic Archeologist »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?