Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Instant SRO. Mental Health/medications question  

Author Topic: Instant SRO. Mental Health/medications question  (Read 3326 times)

Offline Unjustified

• Lurker
Instant SRO. Mental Health/medications question
« on: May 07, 2018, 09:43 »
Hi,

I'm an engineer with several years of experience in the oil & gas industry and recently been offered an instant SRO position at a nuclear power plant.
I researched the SRO career, job description, and met current SROs and I think its a career path I would like to pursue (I am familiar with the SRO class, etc.)

My question is:
I have been diagnosed with Attention Deficit disorder for 10+ years. I've been on medication -Ritalin- for most of them (and still am).
I never had any issues throughout my career and never required assistance, supervision, nor had any restrictions. In fact, I have consistently been the highest performer with great teamwork/leadership skills. I had a great career so far (youngest manager, 30 years old now) and I'm on an accelerated development plan.

Before I accept the job offer and start license class I will need to do a medical surveillance.

Would my condition affect my career as an SRO? Should I be worried about it? Is there a stigma associated with it? FFD concerns?

Thanks !

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
Re: Instant SRO. Mental Health/medications question
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 10:00 »
Your condition may not affect your career, but your attitude might. Before they hire you, all the pre-employment requirements will be completed. Your medical situation will be reviewed by the company Medical Review Officer. It should be kept confidential, so stigma should not be an issue. If it is determined that your medication may affect your judgment and performance, there would be conditions applied to its use. If your medication is determined to be an issue, then the pre-employment requirements would not be met and they may rescind the job offer. The most important thing is to be open and honest so that you and the company can make the decision based on facts.

TVA

Re: Instant SRO. Mental Health/medications question
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 10:48 »
Your license might have a condition that you have to take the medicine but I highly doubt it. Tell the MRO. You should be fine

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?