Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Master's Degree
honeypot

Author Topic: Master's Degree  (Read 2947 times)

Offline Skipperooni

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Master's Degree
« on: May 26, 2018, 03:21 »
Hello, everyone.

I have a Bachelor's of Science degree in chemistry and physics. I will have a Master of Science degree in physics by May of next year. I recently applied to the NuPOC program. It sounds interesting.

I am wondering if there is any benefit in joining the NuPOC program with a master's degree. A higher degree results in a higher pay grade for government jobs. Is it the same for a Nuclear Submarine Officer?

Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,

Skippereeno
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 03:26 by Skipperooni »

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
Re: Master's Degree
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 08:34 »
Have you looked at the program? Here's from their webpage (with a 1 second search):

Be commissioned as an Ensign, U.S. Navy upon graduation from OCS with a designator which is dependent upon the individual 's desires and/or the needs of the Navy and, upon appointment, serve four years from the date of commissioning, or the minimum service requirement associated with training for the new community, whichever is longer. Should an applicant fail to complete OCS for any reason other than physical disqualification, paragraphs 2, 3, and 4 of this section shall apply. (https://www.navycs.com/officer/nupoc.html)

Does that answer your question?

Offline Skipperooni

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 12:09 »
It doesn't say anything about having an advanced degree, but I am assuming that having one is meaningless.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 12:35 »
It doesn't change what your entry pay rate is. If you stay in long enough, it just means you're a step up for advancement for LCDR and up.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 01:55 »
It doesn't say anything about having an advanced degree, but I am assuming that having one is meaningless.
You are correct. If you have a master's, you're just over-qualified for the position.

It doesn't change what your entry pay rate is. If you stay in long enough, it just means you're a step up for advancement for LCDR and up.
Having a master's doesn't matter for LCDR or CDR. You do need to have JPME phase I complete prior to a command tour, and that's typically done with a master's program. If you are doing good things at sea the Navy will get you into JPME.

Offline Skipperooni

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 02:12 »
That's what I figured, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks for your reply.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 06:17 »
To be clear, there are officer positions that will start you out at O-2 with a Master's degree. Nuke just isn't one of them.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?