Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu A diverse power supply delivers reliable electricity

Author Topic: A diverse power supply delivers reliable electricity  (Read 2440 times)

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
https://www.seattletimes.com/sponsored/a-diverse-power-supply-delivers-reliable-electricity/
Turns out his article was sponsored by Energy NW, probably because everyone at the Seattle Times would be afraid to write an article that was pro anything else but renewables.

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
Re: A diverse power supply delivers reliable electricity
« Reply #1 on: Jun 02, 2018, 10:25 »
I love my blue eyed baby!!

I gave James Conca his visitor HP brief for entrance onto our ISFSI pad.
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2018, 12:44 »
I liked what they said about the New England issues with Natural Gas, and then later the Wind issues in the Northwest.  Good points that the renewable people never bring up.  What posers.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jun 03, 2018, 09:32 »
I would not disagree in principle but during the Polar Vortex Pilgrim went down due to power lines something out of its control.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Jun 03, 2018, 01:50 »
yeah nothings perfect....due to overly restrictive safety regulations maybe?  They still had one power line and the diesels....

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
« Reply #6 on: Jun 03, 2018, 09:24 »
I would not disagree in principle but during the Polar Vortex Pilgrim went down due to power lines something out of its control.

Pilgrim lost one of two offsite power sources and made the ridiculously conservative decision to shutdown even though.....

1. Their power was greatly needed given the situation
2. They are not required to shutdown upon loss of a single offsite power source. This is why there are TWO. After the loss of one offsite power source, you should be preparing the DG's, plant personnel and initiating the proper equipment protection schemes for the possibility of losing the 2nd offsite power source.....NOT automatically initiating a manual SCRAM when you still have an offsite power source available.
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jun 03, 2018, 10:36 »
Pilgrim lost one of two offsite power sources and made the ridiculously conservative decision to shutdown even though.....

1. Their power was greatly needed given the situation
2. They are not required to shutdown upon loss of a single offsite power source. This is why there are TWO. After the loss of one offsite power source, you should be preparing the DG's, plant personnel and initiating the proper equipment protection schemes for the possibility of losing the 2nd offsite power source.....NOT automatically initiating a manual SCRAM when you still have an offsite power source available.

Thanx

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Jun 03, 2018, 11:48 »
Good info I was wondering what was up with that.  Seems like they made a bad decision unless we are missing something.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?