Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu what are Traveling Senior Rad Control Tech earning per hour?  

Author Topic: what are Traveling Senior Rad Control Tech earning per hour?  (Read 38305 times)

Offline fightsfortheusers

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
I am a retired Senior  Radiation  control tech.  What do they pay traveling techs nowadays?

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
pay is dependent on sight contract.  aye think Bartlett is a bout $27, d$z a round $31, small companies $30 n up.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline 61nomad

• Moderate User
Hanford pays $40/hr, $100/day but you have to pass a test and you can only work a total of (I think) 600 hours by the union contract.
Los Alamos paid $38-$40/hr a few years ago plus per diem, then they took away per diem and paid expenses. Not sure how it is now.  Compa had the contract then.
INL probably pays mid $30s/hr and I think they are back to paying per diem again.  You would have to call Bartlett or Marcom.
As far as outages, I think SloGlo is underestimating it by a few dollars because in 2012-2013 I made $32-$38 at Sequoyah, Farley, and Browns Ferry.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
32/85 at oconee, 26/100 at dominion plants, heard a rumor 48/living expenses at INL very recently, 40/115 hanford, 34/80 at srs, 35/120 exelon (including bonus), 35/140 at SanO, 31/110 at southern plants. 40/liviing expenses at los alamos.  40/no diem usually at Oak Creek, 42/no diem at Paducah,  34/110 at Seq/Watts, 38/110 at Browns Ferry, 28/110 at columbia.   these are all estimates and are 0 to 4 years old .  Expect somewhere around 30/110 at most power plants give or take 5 dollars/hr. some places like dc cook pay a little less with a bigger bonus.  DOE sites aat times only pay living expenses and a small $ amount for food or no diem at all if they can get locals/suckers.  A couple plants pay much higher PD like IP and 9mile...150ish.  I think most Entergy plants are about 30 per hour.  Clinton and STP might pay more with some union influence.  Salem was rumored to be a higher than average plant paying 36/130 (that's a guess).  Backup contracts usually pay a higher pay rate with more per diem.

Offline arizonie

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
Fightfortheusers Stay retired! Unless you are bored or totally broke $. Pay rates are flat and even going down in some cases while the cost of living/ traveling keeps increasing. Slo glo and hamsamich were pretty accurate in thier posts.
Enjoy your retirement!
AP
"JUST WIN BABY"

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
And don't forget that congress screwed traveling workers with the new tax law. EMPLOYEE BUSINESS EXPENSES ARE NO LONGER DEDUCTIBLE. Make sure your per diem covers your expenses.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
And don't forget that congress screwed traveling workers with the new tax law. EMPLOYEE BUSINESS EXPENSES ARE NO LONGER DEDUCTIBLE. Make sure your per diem covers your expenses.
https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc511
« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2018, 10:08 by SloGlo »

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
They also eliminated moving expense reimbursement. If you are thinking about relocating for a "permanent" job, make sure that your new employer pays all the moving expenses.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
They also eliminated moving expense reimbursement. If you are thinking about relocating for a "permanent" job, make sure that your new employer pays all the moving expenses.
witch ain't applicable two traveling tex. dat sayed, make sure mobe n demobe pay will bee acceptable four yore circumstance.
« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2018, 09:08 by SloGlo »

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Radiological Ergonomist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Banned fromLinkedIn. Now on Twitter @PSloglo
SOS 2018 I was making $31.5 with D&Z traveling in FENOC sites. I'm working a remediation job this Fall in order to make more.
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Very Heavy User
I have been hearing the rumors of back up contracts being let, but no specifics on which sites, companies, or cash yet.
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Very Heavy User
Fermi backup contract.
DZ is paying $28, per deim $135, and a $1,250 completion bonus.
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2018, 01:51 by peteshonkwiler »
A REM is a REM is a REM

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
https://w
https://www.nukeworker.com/job/view.php?job_id=46609
ww.nukeworker.com/job/view.php?job_id=46609

this wuzza posting four a $42 par our r.p.t. job.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
no diem....more of a house tech job...that is like getting paid 20/85.   2006 Oconee wages.

Offline joebeats

• Very Lite User
You ask how much Techs make. Not enough for what they are responsible for. Its sad when you are covering a union laborer and they are making more then you.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
You ask how much Techs make. Not enough for what they are responsible for. Its sad when you are covering a union laborer and they are making more then you.
awl ways bin covering those who make moor than eye dew. hail, a bartender in a good house makes moor than a rentatech.
« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2018, 08:48 by SloGlo »

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
What exactly is an RP tech responsible for? Evaluate a hazard (Radiation) and inform the worker. It's pretty simple, and not life threatening, at least in the normal work of a nuke plant. The union laborer actually does things that are life risking, and has to have a skillset (material handling - forklift, rigging, etc) that is harder than RP.
Sorry to burst your bubble - been in this industry almost 40 yrs. RP is not the lifesaver you believe it is.
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
Of course, if you don't do your job properly and become "Tech A", it may be a different story. In a nuke plant, a certain amount of knowledge is required, follow written procedures and oral instructions, report to your supervisor, honesty in documentation. The consequences of poor performance is not significant unless it's willful and/or malicious. A traveling road tech is not as lucrative as it once was because of deregulation and management has actually had to figure out what radiation protection really is.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
What exactly is an RP tech responsible for? Evaluate a hazard (Radiation) and inform the worker. It's pretty simple, and not life threatening, at least in the normal work of a nuke plant. The union laborer actually does things that are life risking, and has to have a skillset (material handling - forklift, rigging, etc) that is harder than RP.
Sorry to burst your bubble - been in this industry almost 40 yrs. RP is not the lifesaver you believe it is.

with how ALARA has ratcheted back the dose over the last 2 decades, at times you question whether you still qualify (practically) as an occupational exposure worker,.... :-\

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Nobody ever said RPs were saving lives, but the simple fact is that we all have skill sets and a laborer's is not nearly as technical or challenging as a good RP (not all of them are worth their pay, but then again neither are all operators, electricians, managers, etc.) The legal implications of doing RP work are significantly more complex than a laborer, the knowledge required is much higher level and technical skills are more demanding as well. As long as things go well, nobody cares how well an RP does his or her job, but when the fecal matter impacts the rotating air mover either an operator or an RP is probably going to get blamed. If the operator is found at fault he gets more training. If a contract RP is found at fault he loses his job and likely his career. A house RP might get another chance, but probably only one.

As for a laborer doing things that are life risking... BS. Anywhere a laborer goes, an RP was there first (probably before the scaffold was deemed safe.) Any area a laborer works in, an RP is probably right there or was there. Any job a laborer does (rigging, by the way is not normally a laborer's job and RPs sometimes drive forklifts, too) is no more complex or dangerous than an RPs job or most other technical jobs. (BTW, if it was dangerous or life threatening, those of us that are intelligent enough to recognize that would do something about it.)

Everyone has their job. Laborers have no experience requirements and little required training above 'read this sign, pay attention to this siren, recognize this hazard, don't lose your badge.' ALL of the technical fields have more restrictive job requirements. Sorry if you are so blind that you can't see the value in that. Are all RPs worth more than all Laborers... not even close. But again, neither are all operators or managers... or executives.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
Value is in the eye of the beholder. Executives and managers are the beholders that determine the payrates. Everyone's job contributes to the final product. Traveling RP Techs usually get per diem, laborers usually don't. Are we comparing apples and oranges?

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.

While I would agree that in general, during your standard outage, RP is not saving lives. But that said, as a traveling technician, I have worked at least one job (Humboldt Bay) where RP decisions on how work was conducted, prevented life changing, and possibly life shortening exposures.

So, the quote you responded to basically stated that RP was not paid enough for the responsibility they carry. It really didn't say they were saving lives. The responsibility to uphold and enforce Federal Regulations to ensure the utility stays clear of very costly violations and exposure to reputation damaging events in the eyes of the public, is a very important responsibility. It is one that most of us take very seriously, and should. As the most regulated industry in the U.S., we are under plenty of scrutiny from the public and Regulators. The future of Nuclear power and our livelyhood rests on all of us to be professionals and do a good job, but what do you think the public pays more attention to? A worker who makes a mistake and breaks a plant component, or a worker who makes a mistake and lets a few licensed atoms off site, or overexposes a worker?
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Very Heavy User

Everyone has their job. Laborers have no experience requirements and little required training above 'read this sign, pay attention to this siren, recognize this hazard, don't lose your badge.' ALL of the technical fields have more restrictive job requirements. Sorry if you are so blind that you can't see the value in that. Are all RPs worth more than all Laborers... not even close. But again, neither are all operators or managers... or executives.
What nuke job were you on where you had laborers who had no experience and little training?

I'm not talking about New to Nuke.

I cannot remember when I did any job with unknowledgable laborers. I have worked many sites with laborers who had 4 year (and greater) college degrees. I have worked DOE, DOD, D&D, NPP, as well as the unique projects with some major nuclear vendors. But not without a knowledgeable labor force who earned more per hour, and usually more per week with union OT pay rates, than did I.
« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2018, 09:01 by peteshonkwiler »
A REM is a REM is a REM

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?