Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu what are Traveling Senior Rad Control Tech earning per hour?  

Author Topic: what are Traveling Senior Rad Control Tech earning per hour?  (Read 38303 times)

Offline Eric_Bartlett

• Heavy User
  • I was liberal as a youth then I had to pay taxes..
I just heard that RSCS has multiple techs confirming for Browns Ferry at an hourly rate of $45 and, of course, per diem of $110.

More unsubstantiated rumors and dis-information - where did you get your info, "Baghdad Bob"?

TVA has not issued any back-up contracts for RP.  In fact BHI was asked to implement our 'back-up" clause in our contract.  We have talked to a couple of other vendors, the company mentioned above was one of them.  Neither company has a signed contract to supply personnel, and if/when they do they will be relegated to the same compensation package that BHI has.   Sorry to rain on your parade.

Have a great weekend,

Eric
The opinions & views expressed by me are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of the company.

atomicarcheologist

More unsubstantiated rumors and dis-information - where did you get your info, "Baghdad Bob"?

TVA has not issued any back-up contracts for RP.  In fact BHI was asked to implement our 'back-up" clause in our contract.  We have talked to a couple of other vendors, the company mentioned above was one of them.  Neither company has a signed contract to supply personnel, and if/when they do they will be relegated to the same compensation package that BHI has.   Sorry to rain on your parade.

Have a great weekend,

Eric
Well, I'll be! I was just reached out to because I had not included the $500 mob & demob.
You have a great weekend too!

atomicarcheologist

shore didn't sea know numbers on the prime.
nutting awn the f.o s. bone us thread neither.

Is there a bonus thread for the FOS? I can't find it.
« Last Edit: Oct 08, 2018, 01:10 by Atomic Archeologist »

atomicarcheologist

Is there a bonus thread for the FOS? I can't find it.
Never mind, I found it.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
posted too day 10/29/18 on jobs...
"Pay: $42 per hour straight time $63 per hour over time"
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

atomicarcheologist

I just received a shout from the RSCS RTs who went to Browns Ferry.  They are working 7x12 hour shifts, all the aforementioned bells and whistles are in place.

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
Big Bucks, No Whammies! Too bad, I'm too old to maintain that pace.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
Big Bucks, No Whammies! Too bad, I'm too old to maintain that pace.
thinking the pace too day ain't what it ust two bee...
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

atomicarcheologist

Taken from the Jobs board today.

... for Senior Radiological Control Technicians at Paducah Kentucky....

• Pay: $42 per hour straight time $63 per hour over time....
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2018, 08:21 by Atomic Archeologist »

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
It's a no per diem job. It is not a traveling tech job.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator

It is still $42/hr.  That's $90k/yr plus overtime.  How many three week outages do you need to work to make $90k?

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
~24 weeks plus unemployment benefits. I didn't say that this job was not a good gig. With the benefits, it's very attractive. I just said that it was not a traveling tech job. It's kind of a hybrid. Not a house job, not an outage. Good for someone who may want a short term (1-5 yrs or so), but not so good for someone with a permanent home far way and does not want to or cannot relocate. And don't forget the screwing that road techs got with the new tax law.

atomicarcheologist

Diem must be included for a traveler? Hmmmm... it's a good benefit, but there are many temporary jobs which are filled by travelers that do not pay per diem. There's also jobs where per diem is paid as a separate hourly allocation. Then there are also jobs which only compensate for acceptable expenses submitted via receipt, with a time lag of a month.
All of these scenarios are for traveling senior techs. Like any gig, you work out the job, or work until a better offer is received.
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2018, 09:40 by Atomic Archeologist »

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
Agreed AA, but 42 an hour without per diem is very low in my opinion for a traveler.  So low it is hard for me to consider it a fit for a traveling tech.  But if I was desperate and had nothing else, yep it would have to do.  It would take a long time for me to get there.
 But using it as a real comparison to what traveling techs make....it doesn't belong in that column.

atomicarcheologist

Agreed AA, but 42 an hour without per diem is very low in my opinion for a traveler. 
 But using it as a real comparison to what traveling techs make....it doesn't belong in that column.
$42 is the hourly rate, and is in the pay rate column. Per diem would be a separate column. Benefits would be a third column. Total of all three columns would be the fourth, the total compensation, column.
That said, jobs with numbers in the per diem column have very low numbers in the benefits column. Therefore, the 4th column generally equates from job to job.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
Yeah they are important, but funny, nobody else has posted much about benefits.  Most people I know are worried how much they will make a week after taxes.  So to me the 3rd most important thing would be expected overtime.  Benefits are becoming more important though thanks to the rising insane cost of healthcare, but most people looking for that are looking for house jobs IMHO.  3 of my friends do excel spreadsheets, and I have done them too.  Never put benefits in there.  Unemployment rates for the states the jobs are in sometimes make the cut on those spreadsheets.  I haven't seen many contract jobs that have good benefits but I do know Humbolt had them and this made it a very attractive job on top of the high pay/diem.  I think the reason benefits are not included in our thought process is because we all expect to be shafted there.  But really, the Paducah job is a house job in my opinion and I wouldn't go there and most of the roadtechs I know wouldn't go there unless they were thinking long term/had strong local connections.  We all see that job come up and everyone I know scoffs at it as a true travelling position.  It is considered a house job, although I'm sure a fringe group of people would travel for it.  It isn't even discussed when people are talking about where they want to go.  I have brought it up a couple of times and people chuckle, I kinda bring it up as a joke...Paducah is paying 42!!! and 63 for time and a half....we all laugh because the 63 for OT is already known but they put it in there sometimes to highlight it, I guess because there is no per diem.   I agree though a column for benefits is becoming more important.  I have worked 4 long term jobs with per diem (2 DOE and 2 not) and the benefits were lacking, but it was nice to have them when they were there.  The monthly price of healthcare premium for a large family is approaching the monthly rate of per diem at some places so hey AA you have a good point, but for those of us that have health insurance, are fairly healthy, or have little family probably wouldn't trade in benefits for per diem.

atomicarcheologist

I am just putting up the numbers posted to answer the original post for this thread.

fightsfortheusers
what are Traveling Senior Rad Control Tech earning per hour?
« on: Jun 03, 2018, 07:11 »
I am a retired Senior  Radiation  control tech.  What do they pay traveling techs nowadays?

Since per diem is highly reflective of the job site area, I feel it is a less important component of the compensation package than the benefits, which directly impact the tech a :-X nd family. In addition, the PD paid is what the site and rentatech company negotiate as a pass through number and is seldom reflective of the total amount allowed by IRS regulation. Anyone who has worked a power plant with a resource sharing of utility techs will understand as those techs frequently are paid diem at roughly twice the vendor tech's rate.
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2018, 08:56 by Atomic Archeologist »

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
Nobody I know asks "what are the benefits"?  They are usually worried about the payrate and per diem.....you must work with different people than me.  I try to focus on what people I know think are important.  Not that they don't care about the benes, but they want to know how much they are making after taxes each week.

atomicarcheologist

Pay is what's left after taxes. Diem is what gets you a warm shower and bed after dinner. Benies are what keeps the other half happy.
Your mix, your call, but not considering all is to cheat yourself.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
Totally agree, but most of the time benefits aren't offered or are terrible so it isn't included in the thought process.  Like I said, that job is a house job.  House jobs have good benes and no per diem....usually.

atomicarcheologist

...  I try to focus on what people I know think are important.  Not that they don't care about the benes, but they want to know how much they are making after taxes each week.
Why do you think threads on pay, such as bonuses, are so widely ignored on this site?

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Why do you think threads on pay, such as bonuses, are so widely ignored on this site?

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

atomicarcheologist

The first three of the five text frames say it all.
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2018, 09:00 by Atomic Archeologist »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Nobody I know asks "what are the benefits"? 
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2018, 05:46 by Rennhack »

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
I guess one thing it has that house tech jobs usually don't have is you are topped out as soon as you start, I presume.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?