Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu what are Traveling Senior Rad Control Tech earning per hour?

Author Topic: what are Traveling Senior Rad Control Tech earning per hour?  (Read 38292 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
What nuke job were you on where you had laborers who had no experience and little training?

I'm not talking about New to Nuke.

I cannot remember when I did any job with unknowledgable laborers. I have worked many sites with laborers who had 4 year (and greater) college degrees. I have worked DOE, DOD, D&D, NPP, as well as the unique projects with some major nuclear vendors. But not without a knowledgeable labor force who earned more per hour, and usually more per week with union OT pay rates, than did I.

I agree with you to a point, but I think RDTroja meant requirements. I know there are some apprentice requirements but not to the degree of a tech. nor to the degree of entry testing to each facility.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
What nuke job were you on where you had laborers who had no experience and little training?

I'm not talking about New to Nuke.

I cannot remember when I did any job with unknowledgable laborers. I have worked many sites with laborers who had 4 year (and greater) college degrees. I have worked DOE, DOD, D&D, NPP, as well as the unique projects with some major nuclear vendors. But not without a knowledgeable labor force who earned more per hour, and usually more per week with union OT pay rates, than did I.

I agree with you to a point, but I think RDTroja meant requirements. I know there are some apprentice requirements but not to the degree of a tech. nor to the degree of entry testing to each facility.

Marlin is correct. I am not implying that laborers are not good at their jobs or that they do not have skills or experience. The simple fact is there is no laborer test they have to take, no OJT signoffs, no classroom training in their profession, no theory to grasp, no written exams, or any other measure of their skills except doing their job well enough to get invited back to do it again.

Hopefully all nuclear workers are above average compared to non-nuclear workers. Everyone needs to know how to do their job. Laborer jobs tend to be non-technical and have fewer critical skills than RP. The fact that laborers are usually paid more than contract techs is more a function of unions than logic, but that is another dead horse I would rather not beat.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
hear's sum training laborers have at there disposal for a couple months. aye could get a years worth, butt aye dew naught think any buddy is going to look at it.

https://www.laborpa.org/

« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2018, 03:15 by SloGlo »
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
hear's sum training laborers have at there disposal for a couple months. aye could get a years worth, butt aye dew naught think any buddy is going to look at it.

Nice long list but how much of it is required for any one job. I suspect a lot of it is nice to have but not necessary for assignment to most jobs. I would guess a flagger in most cases is given a flag and a short set of instructions and many of the other ones listed are probably in the same category. Not demeaning laborers but it is still not comparable to a tech who really does not have support of a union and limited support from a company that lays them off after every job.

"That is just my opinion I could be wrong" D.M.

[2cents]   [coffee]

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp

Nice long list but how much of it is required for any one job. I suspect a lot of it is nice to have but not necessary for assignment to most jobs.

betcha theirs moor than won person reeding this who wood say the same bout are peas. hail, eye bin seeing seniors who aye swear are having senior moments (except there under 40) over m.d.c., m.d.a., x square, a/s formulation, original activity, 1/2 values, 1/2 lives, z factors, ....oar meter reading to mrads. yet lotsa this stuff gets covered superficially in g.e.t four all swinging dosimeter carriers, wile a riggers not oar a knuckle orientation as a tube lock,, wire tying rebar, hydrolaser orientation, bosun chair stabilization, three safe work periods per shift in plastics,  color coding on ropes, etc duzzant.
go figger.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp

...not comparable to a tech who really does not have support of a union and limited support from a company that lays them off after every job.

yule never have watt yew donut work four.
allot of labor get layed off after the job is dun.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
betcha theirs moor than won person reeding this who wood say the same bout are peas. hail, eye bin seeing seniors who aye swear are having senior moments (except there under 40) over m.d.c., m.d.a., x square, a/s formulation, original activity, 1/2 values, 1/2 lives, z factors, ....oar meter reading to mrads. yet lotsa this stuff gets covered superficially in g.e.t four all swinging dosimeter carriers, wile a riggers not oar a knuckle orientation as a tube lock,, wire tying rebar, hydrolaser orientation, bosun chair stabilization, three safe work periods per shift in plastics,  color coding on ropes, etc duzzant.
go figger.

We are drifting a bit we were not talking about training and skill in general but entry requirements. As for rigging most of the rigging I have been involved with especially large and critical loads are done by iron workers as is a lot of rebar work. A laborer at most jobs is only required general entry training. If you were to claim that there are laborers who do more than the basics required of most laborers then you would have to admit (well maybe not) that there are RPs with additional skills and training above the standard requirements and difficulty as well.

Again my  [2cents]

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
yule never have watt yew donut work four.
allot of labor get layed off after the job is dun.

...and have a labor hall to help them.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
. If you were to claim that there are laborers who do more than the basics required of most laborers then you would have to admit (well maybe not) that there are RPs with additional skills and training above the standard requirements and difficulty as well.

Again my  [2cents]
butt eye am knot caring how much money udders make. aye make watt eye can, ware eye yam, as fast as eye can.
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2018, 08:09 by SloGlo »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
butt eye am knot caring how much money udders make. aye make watt eye can, ware eye yam, as fast as eye can.

Fair statement I agree.

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Radiological Ergonomist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Banned fromLinkedIn. Now on Twitter @PSloglo
"ATL International, Inc. is actively recruiting for SR. RCT/HP Technicians for a per diem assignment supporting the Hanford site in Richland, WA. The rate of pay will be $40.62 per hour, plus $16.00 per hour per diem "

from their Nukeworker.com advertisement today.
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
And I thought paying perdiem based on hours worked was not quite Kosher...
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Jimi53

• Lurker
The last time I looked at the tax law it is NOT. Law states that if per diem is paid hourly it is considered wages and should have all the proper with holdings taken out. I am seeing more companies do this but they are all DOE subcontractors.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
I would like to know where to find if per diem is paid by the hour it is considered wages....that doesn't sound right either.

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
It doesn't matter how they figure it. All that matters is how they report it. This is just a devious way that they can reduce your per diem if you don't put in your 40 hrs/wk. Before you accept this job, make sure that it is an IRS qualified plan.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
The Wikipedia info, in part, is out of date, and has been superseded by the changes in the tax laws. Not all US companies use the GSA published rates. They can pay per diem up to the published rate without receipts. It really doesn't matter how they calculate it if it is less than the published rate and it is reported as per diem. That is an issue between the IRS and the payor.

atomicarcheologist

I heard through the grapevine...

Browns Ferry....backup....$35.00 plus $110 perday...$500 mob/demob....

https://www.nukeworker.com/job/view.php?job_id=83500
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2018, 04:53 by Rennhack »

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
Making moor awn the backups; posted two day...

Looking for 3.1 Sr. H.P. Technicians for a back-up contract in AL. Duration first of October though Mid-November.

Please call for more information and rates.

https://www.nukeworker.com/job/view.php?job_id=83690
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2018, 04:52 by Rennhack »

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
as purr posting in "jobs" today...

Sr. Radiation Surveyor - (5 plus years R.S. field experience) $52.50/hr CAD (Canadian citizens and permanent residents may elect to have $7.00/hr of the advertised salary designated as an RRSP contribution).

Per Diem up to $750/week CAD for ALL eligible employees

Offline Eric_Bartlett

• Heavy User
  • I was liberal as a youth then I had to pay taxes..
I heard through the grapevine...

Browns Ferry....backup....$35.00 plus $110 perday...$500 mob/demob....

https://www.nukeworker.com/job/view.php?job_id=83500
Making moor awn the backups; posted two day...

Looking for 3.1 Sr. H.P. Technicians for a back-up contract in AL. Duration first of October though Mid-November.

Please call for more information and rates.

https://www.nukeworker.com/job/view.php?job_id=83690

How is the back-up paying more money at 35 & 110 w/500 bonus when primary is paying 39.17/hr 110/day with H&W for the first 40 hrs per week at 4.41/hr?  ...then if you have >5yrs experience, are NRRPT or a returnee the rate does nothing but go up as you check off each of those things, max'n out at 43.87/hr Plus the 4.41 H&W for first 40 hrs each week and 110/diem -

Just say'n...

Eric
The opinions & views expressed by me are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of the company.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp

How is the back-up paying more money at 35 & 110 w/500 bonus when primary is paying 39.17/hr 110/day with H&W for the first 40 hrs per week at 4.41/hr?  ...then if you have >5yrs experience, are NRRPT or a returnee the rate does nothing but go up as you check off each of those things, max'n out at 43.87/hr Plus the 4.41 H&W for first 40 hrs each week and 110/diem -

Just say'n...

Eric
shore didn't sea know numbers on the prime.
nutting awn the f.o s. bone us thread neither.
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2018, 07:27 by SloGlo »

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
shore didn't sea know numbers on the prime.
nutting awn the f.o s. bone us thread neither.

Uhhhh... What?! LOL!
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
You need a SloGloese to English Dictionary?

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

atomicarcheologist

I just heard that RSCS has multiple techs confirming for Browns Ferry at an hourly rate of $45 and, of course, per diem of $110.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?