Career Path > General

Proving Age Discrimination While Seeking New Employment Opportunities

(1/4) > >>

TechSuper:
I have been in the nuclear commercial and DOE fields for over 46 years of which 31 have been in nuclear training.  I am an Enron victim, losing 2 retirement funds, so no hope of a strong retirement package.  Two years ago I applied for and accepted a position that I no longer want to remain in.  My wife and I want to return to the east coast and I have been applying for many training positions in the private field but have not had any opportunities arise.  Most of the positions I have been applying for I am over qualified for but am willing to take the chance to start over.  I have not received any offers, not even for contract positions.  I have even applied for positions at DOE sites that I have been to in the past and was either laid off from or left with approval from the responsible Manager.  In several cases, the position I applied for was exactly the same position I performed in the past.  I was wondering what my peers feel about this situation and what suggestions they may have.  Is it my age, which is somewhat obvious with my years of experience or maybe something else?

Marlin:

--- Quote from: TechSuper on Jun 05, 2018, 10:39 ---Is it my age, which is somewhat obvious with my years of experience or maybe something else?

--- End quote ---

Probably but even though the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 forbids employment discrimination against anyone at least 40 years of age how would you prove it? I have found that many DOE jobs seem to have a rather artfully crafted language in postings which tells me that they may have a candidate in mind but are required to post the job which is another possible problem. We are about the same age but I consider myself semi-retired as I am no longer willing to travel and the "BossLady" has a house position at a DOE site. Keep an eye on the Oak Ridge reservation (Y-12, ORNL, and ETTP) it has some upcoming work, construction and demolition.

SloGlo:
outage 1st layoff lists seam two have a disproportional percentage of gray beards, but doze that mean any thing?

GLW:

--- Quote from: Marlin on Jun 05, 2018, 11:47 ---....... I have found that many DOE jobs seem to have a rather artfully crafted language in postings which tells me that they may have a candidate in mind but are required to post the job.....

--- End quote ---

yes,...

--- Quote from: SloGlo on Jun 05, 2018, 12:15 ---outage 1st layoff lists seam two have a disproportional percentage of gray beards, but doze that mean any thing?

--- End quote ---

probably not what you might think,....

hamsamich:
I've seen who they put into DOE training spots at SRS.  Lately it has been homegrowns like supervisors on their way out in a few years.  Sometimes they want contractors though, and many times they will be local people they already know.  Seems like it might be hard to crack that DOE SRS training nut.  just a data point.  and one of the guys was almost 60.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version