Reference, Questions and Help > Nuke Q&A

Faceing a seperation, so many questions


My main question that i cannot find is in reguards to repaying the nuke enlistment bonus. When I graduated power school and prototype i recieved my $11,000 signing bonus. I am now at 3 years active service and am facing an administrative discharge for adjustment disorder (form 1910-120, medical condition not equating to a disability). So will i have to repay half of the 11,000 because i did 3 out of my 6 years? Or will i not have to repay anything because i graduated prototype? No one seems to have an answer for me and just keeps telling me to just wait and see what my discharge paperwork says. However if theyre going to make me pay back money that i dont have then i want to really fight for a medical board instead. Ive been suffering from anxiety and depression for the last year and a half which gets so bad that i have lost conciousness from anxiety/panic attacks resulting in a medical emergency. The first case was in class in power school and the last time was 2 months ago while standing watch in EOS on the boat and thats what lead them to pulling me off of the boat and pressing to seperate me for adjustment disorder.

Sounds like a medical condition to me. (form 1910-120, medical condition not equating to a disability). I believe that the Navy would not consider this as military related, so the term "disability" will be avoided. Do you still have your paperwork? There should be some terminology that states the requirements. Maybe a yeoman or corpsman would be able to help. Anxiety/panic attacks are serious debilitating. Most doctors don't fully understand them and they are something that you cannot rationalize to control them. There are drugs that help - Xanax, clonazapam,etc., but they won't let you near operating machinery or even on the boat if you take them. Go to sickbay and get some help. Don't worry about the money, it only adds to the anxiety. Take care of your health.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert on this subject.

If you have anxiety/depression, I would push for a discharge through those, as they will get you disability, but more importantly, it will be easier to get the help to need to handle the issues during and after your transition.


[0] Message Index

Go to full version