Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Making myself more competitive  

Author Topic: Making myself more competitive  (Read 3813 times)

Offline Tylor

• Moderate User
Making myself more competitive
« on: Aug 06, 2018, 12:52 »
DISCLAIMER: I have searched and read through the forums at length before posting.

I am preparing to transfer to shore duty and start my job hunt to get into the industry. I will be 10 years active duty EMN1(SS). Qualified EWS/EDPO for 2 years (more if I go to NPTU, but let's hope not). I'm working on starting to use TA and I can't seem to decide on my degree path.

I believe I've narrowed down what I want to two separate options.
1) Complete a dual degree for BS NET/MBA with focus in leadership through Excelsior. I could finish this on shore duty, and I would hope the advantage would be having that additional education over the BSNET from excelsior.
2) Complete BS NET degree from excelsior, begin pursuing MS in an actual engineering degree (I've read a lot about how to do this on this website, very helpful). Downside to this would be I am not so competitive on an entry level, but would finish my MS and have a chance to move up once I'm actually hired on as an SRO.

My actual question:
1) Is an MBA going to actually help me at all in getting hired as an SRO above others? And will it help if I want to move up to a shift manager or engineer position? If not, that really solves my degree crisis, as I'm leaning towards the 2nd option listed above.

Thanks!
"There are no extraordinary men... just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with." -Admiral William Halsey

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
Re: Making myself more competitive
« Reply #1 on: Aug 06, 2018, 02:06 »
1 - An MBA might give you a leg up to get to the interview/testing phase, but that's about it.
2 - Yes, an MBA will be useful to get to SM and above, but not an engineering position. An MS in engineering may help you get into engineering, but not into management.

Offline Tylor

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Aug 06, 2018, 03:47 »
Thanks for the quick resopnse, MMM. Seems like I need to look more into those positions to find out what I actually want to do. I'll do some more looking around the forums and see what I can find.
"There are no extraordinary men... just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with." -Admiral William Halsey

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Aug 06, 2018, 06:31 »
You already have 10 tears in, you should take a good look at retiree benefits. They are worth a lot more than your may realize. If you stay in, you'll advance in rank and make several valuable contacts. A retired CPO with a degree would make you highly desirable to defense contractors and utilities, et.al. You'll be collecting a pension, have medical and other benefits.  An engineering degree will get you a leg up getting a job offer. You'll still have to do the time and training to get your Nuclear Operator License. You'll have to complete AO training & OJTs, but will probably be able to bypass the AO postion and fast track to Control Room Operator. Then you will have to wait for those ahead of you to move on before a Shift Manager position becomes available. After Shift Manager, there are lots of other management positions. An MBA may give you an advantage advancing beyond Shift Manager, perhaps to VP or CEO. Perhaps the most important thing is job performance. Decision making, problem solving, public relations, and politics (and golf).

Offline Tylor

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Aug 07, 2018, 03:03 »
Scotoma, I haven't entirely ruled out staying in, but I would never go back to a submarine. I'll stay in if and only if I make LDO. I've done extremely well for myself in the submarine fleet, and I have a lot of respect for the guys who can stomach this job, but it's just not for me.

It seems like I have a lot to learn about career progression in the nuclear community. Does it vary between plants, or is it uniform throughout? Like NLO->RO->SRO->Shift supervisor->Shift Manager?? I'll keep looking around, but I haven't seen a clear explanation on the forums.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #5 on: Aug 07, 2018, 05:37 »
.........., but it's just not for me............

besides, winter is coming to Saratoga again and if you end up at NPTU, and IIRC, you tend to smash up your POV during SSGN (Saratoga Snow Generation Nexus),...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Aug 07, 2018, 06:46 »
Scotoma, I haven't entirely ruled out staying in, but I would never go back to a submarine. I'll stay in if and only if I make LDO. I've done extremely well for myself in the submarine fleet, and I have a lot of respect for the guys who can stomach this job, but it's just not for me.

It seems like I have a lot to learn about career progression in the nuclear community. Does it vary between plants, or is it uniform throughout? Like NLO->RO->SRO->Shift supervisor->Shift Manager?? I'll keep looking around, but I haven't seen a clear explanation on the forums.

Progression up the OPS chain is pretty uniform, the titles might be different between plants.

As far as career progression, you've got the long, and probably the least stressful, way. Most plants hire direct SROs, not necessarily a lot at a time, but it depends on who's interested onsite and in the company. A few have started hiring direct ROs as well, but that depends on the progression. If RO is an extension of NLO, then you will have to qualify NLO before you can go to class.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?