Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Number of Roadtechs in the business?  

Author Topic: Number of Roadtechs in the business?  (Read 10831 times)

thehay95

Number of Roadtechs in the business?
« on: Aug 13, 2018, 01:15 »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Re: Number of Roadtechs in the business?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13, 2018, 05:53 »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2018, 08:16 »
Of course 42 is just a rule of 'thumb'
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #3 on: Aug 13, 2018, 10:33 »
Of course 42 is just a rule of 'thumb'
standard oar metric?
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #4 on: Aug 13, 2018, 10:42 »
30 outages about 50 SRs each give or take.....1500 for outages.  then you have semi long termers all over the place like DOE sites and DOD plus other small jobs and semi long term nuke plants....maybe another 1500?   3000 3.1 roadtechs and a bunch of house people.  im sure that is very far off but there's my quick guess.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #5 on: Aug 13, 2018, 10:56 »

30 outages about 50 SRs each give or take.....1500 for outages.  then you have semi long termers all over the place like DOE sites and DOD plus other small jobs and semi long term nuke plants....maybe another 1500?   3000 3.1 roadtechs and a bunch of house people.  im sure that is very far off but there's my quick guess.

422 = 1764,...

1764 +20% -> 2116 - 1411

ergo your SWAG of 1500 is within an acceptable level of variability of the true number, derived from the ultimate source number...

not bad padawan,...

42 is the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2018, 10:57 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Aug 13, 2018, 01:01 »
30 outages simultaneously?

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Aug 13, 2018, 01:18 »
My guess is that 30 outages at a time and 50 seniors per outage are both very high. I haven't seen a 50 Sr outage in a while.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #8 on: Aug 13, 2018, 04:58 »
My guess is that 30 outages at a time and 50 seniors per outage are both very high. I haven't seen a 50 Sr outage in a while.
aye can't remember scene 30 simultaneous domestic outages. butt, eye kin here the google way back machines getting started even aze this is posting.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Aug 13, 2018, 07:55 »

That's only 25 per shift.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #10 on: Aug 13, 2018, 08:21 »
Ur right about the 30 simul maybe 2500 or 2250 then total..but bwrs are usually over 50...cooper was asking for 80 in 2009....special proj3cts like peach did in 2014 i think the had 150 or more...so i think 50 is a good average wen you factor in that stuff.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #11 on: Aug 13, 2018, 09:15 »

If you have to explain it...

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: Aug 14, 2018, 07:52 »
Several outages are partially staffed with shared resources. Some plants augment their staff with road techs for special projects (DFS, SFP Cleanup, Major Mods, etc.). Several techs have retired, passed on, or taken permanent positions. Maybe BHI, DZA, et.al. have that info in their database. How big is your ballpark?

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Aug 14, 2018, 08:19 »
That's only 25 per shift.

Yep. I get that. I am currently at a BWR getting ready for an outage. Traditionally BWRs staff more techs than PWRs and we have fewer than 50 seniors coming here plus less than 10 juniors. I have recently worked at two PWRs that I am pretty sure (could be wrong) bring in less than that. So, 50 may not be very high compared to the highest, but probably higher than average. Go back even 8 or 10 years and the numbers go up. Go back 20 and they are probably higher still. But, go way back and I can tell you we did Kewaunee's first outage with about 8 seniors per shift in 1976... the outage also took about 3 months. Now it seems to be fewer techs (not fewer than 1976) shorter outages and more time in containment/drywell. The 3-in-3-out, lots of techs days are pretty much gone.
« Last Edit: Aug 14, 2018, 12:40 by RDTroja »

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Aug 14, 2018, 08:21 »
If you have to explain it...

Given that, should I explain my 'thumb' reference?

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #15 on: Aug 14, 2018, 08:34 »
Given that, should I explain my 'thumb' reference?

nah, if into the security recordings you go, only pain will you find,....

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Radiological Ergonomist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Banned fromLinkedIn. Now on Twitter @PSloglo
« Reply #16 on: Aug 14, 2018, 09:37 »
...I can tell you we did Kewaunee's first outage with about 8 seniors per shift in 1976...
The next outage, there was the same number of techs and one owl...
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: Aug 14, 2018, 09:52 »
The next outage, there was the same number of techs and one owl...
Was there for that one, too... my memory tells me that the owl was in the first outage, but I am trusting that less and less these days.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #18 on: Aug 14, 2018, 11:59 »
Was there for that one, too... my memory tells me that the owl was in the first outage, but I am trusting that less and less these days.
You probably don't remember telling me to not put the beer in the Rent A Car at night, neither.
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: Aug 14, 2018, 12:38 »
I was not sure that was you, but I do remember that.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #20 on: Aug 14, 2018, 01:01 »
-38°F gets a brew chilled mighty quickly. Driving with bottle caps 3" above the bottle necks is not a task trusted to amateurs.
A REM is a REM is a REM

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #21 on: Aug 14, 2018, 06:23 »
You guys are really old if you can remember rental cars.... maybe even getting reimbursed for gas and then throw in flying to the job and leaving your car at home. Maybe even free health insurance. My favorite was stock options and profit sharing.   But that was long ago.

Offline Al Eidson

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #22 on: Aug 14, 2018, 06:27 »
Rental cars and no FFD. Had to have  someone go out to cash checks, cause no off days either. $6.50 an hour and 20/day and all was great

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #23 on: Aug 14, 2018, 07:59 »
You guys are really old if you can remember rental cars.... maybe even getting reimbursed for gas and then throw in flying to the job and leaving your car at home. Maybe even free health insurance. My favorite was stock options and profit sharing.   But that was long ago.

Yes, yes yes, yes, yes,no. But I didn't do Numanco. But I did get a hat...
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2018, 08:33 by peteshonkwiler »
A REM is a REM is a REM

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #24 on: Aug 14, 2018, 08:02 »
Rental cars and no FFD. Had to have  someone go out to cash checks, cause no off days either. $6.50 an hour and 20/day and all was great
Mr Big Bucks!
I remember $4.50 and  $210/wk, for a Jr. and then $5.50 as a Senior.
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2018, 05:53 by peteshonkwiler »
A REM is a REM is a REM

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?