Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Declining Commercial Nuclear Industry Creates Risk for Navy Carriers, Subs  

Author Topic: Declining Commercial Nuclear Industry Creates Risk for Navy Carriers, Subs  (Read 2433 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Declining Commercial Nuclear Industry Creates Risk for Navy Carriers, Subs

https://news.usni.org/2018/10/02/37045

atomicarcheologist

"Russia and China are building dozens of nuclear power plants around the world, in countries such as Turkey and Pakistan, Ostendorff said. The U.S. nuclear power industry is building two plants domestically and zero overseas"

I thought Westinghouse was building in China.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
Ostendorff was my Captain on board my old boat.  I thought he was a good guy, especially compared to the guy before him.  I think those plants are operational...one of them is, the other has been on the grid but needs something else before operational.  So maybe AP1000s are done (construction) in China for now??

atomicarcheologist

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AP1000

Four AP1000 reactors are under construction in China, at Sanmen Nuclear Power Plant in Zhejiang, and Haiyang Nuclear Power Plant in Shandong.[39] The Sanmen unit 1 and unit 2 AP1000s connected to the grid on 2 July 2018 and 24 August 2018 respectively. [40] All four Chinese AP1000s were scheduled to be operational by 2016,[41] but are reported to be running over two years late mainly due to key component delays and project management issues.[42] The first four AP1000s to be built are to an earlier revision of the design without a strengthened containment structure to provide improved protection against an aircraft crash.[43]

China has officially adopted the AP1000 as a standard for inland nuclear projects. The National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC) has already approved several nuclear projects, including the Dafan plant in Hubei province, Taohuajiang in Hunan, and Pengze in Jiangxi. The NDRC is studying additional projects in Anhui, Jilin and Gansu provinces.[44]

In 2014, China First Heavy Industries manufactured the first domestically produced AP1000 reactor pressure vessel, for the second AP1000 unit of Sanmen Nuclear Power Station.[45]

In April, 2018, AP1000 first unit of Sanmen Nuclear Power Plant, China received the permit of Fuel Load. Sanmen 1 was first connected to the grid and produced power June 30, 2018.[46]

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
~~~Westinghouse currently has six AP1000 nuclear power plants progressing through construction, testing and start-up. These projects include two units in Sanmen, Zhejiang Province, China, two units in Haiyang, Shandong Province, China, as well as two units under construction at the Alvin W. Vogtle Electric Generating Plant near Waynesboro, Georgia, USA. Westinghouse is providing the design, critical equipment, training and testing for each of the six AP1000 units.~~~

from westinghouse's website.  I don't know...maybe they are only doing 2 at sanmen?  but Brookfield owns westinghouse...they are Canadian...so who knows if they are considered american or canadian?  I know they have headquarters in PA....

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
"Russia and China are building dozens of nuclear power plants around the world, in countries such as Turkey and Pakistan, Ostendorff said. The U.S. nuclear power industry is building two plants domestically and zero overseas"

I thought Westinghouse was building in China.

Brookfield owns westinghouse...they are Canadian...so who knows if they are considered american or canadian?  I know they have headquarters in PA....
So... like he said, depends on what you call American.  Westinghouse was owned by Toshiba before Brookfield. Neither of those are American.  It is still based out of PA...
Canada’s Brookfield Asset Management Inc acquired Westinghouse Electric Co LLC , the bankrupt Pittsburgh-based  nuclear services company owned by Toshiba Corp for $4.6 billion.

HeavyD

The station at Sanmen is planned to have 8 AP1000 units, with China currently planning to build approximately 20 of them over the next decade.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?