Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu DOE RCT exam, calculator use
honeypot

Author Topic: DOE RCT exam, calculator use  (Read 5267 times)

Offline japawlak

• Hanford Nuke
  • Very Lite User
  • I’m in need of pants, do you have any?
DOE RCT exam, calculator use
« on: Oct 12, 2018, 05:39 »
Can one use a calculator on the DOE RCT exam? Are graphic calculators allowed? Must the memory on such calculators be erased for this exam?
Houston, we have a problem, I seem to have soiled my space suit...

Offline johnnieslingshot

• Moderate User
  • Let's go bowl-diving
Re: DOE RCT exam, calculator use
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13, 2018, 10:46 »
I have taken the core 5 times (at SRS) and used TI-83 each time.  Was never asked to show memory or programs or any other "hiding" spots within the calculator.  Cannot answer for other DOE sites.

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2018, 09:17 »
Iffin ye cant dedicate the few basic fomulas (air sample, t1/2, shielding,stay time, etc.)that are on every version of every RPT test known to man to the permanently installed calculator, then perhaps the calculated removal of radioactive contamination from places where it is unwanted is better suited for you - even in the current era of redefining just what is a senior tech. Retirement be all its supposed to be.

Offline japawlak

• Hanford Nuke
  • Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2018, 07:39 »
I’m thinking I don’t want to delete my programs and outdated calculator games. But, to write something useful... graphic calculators are, in fact, allowed. I asked the test administrator. QED

Chimera

« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2018, 10:20 »
Here in Paducah, calculators are permitted - as long as the memory has been cleared.  However, a sheet of formulae and conversion factors is made available to the candidate.  There may be too many formulae and not necessarily the preferred conversion factors, but everything is there to successfully complete the exam.  Doe has always been easy that way.  In the bad old days - before the standardized NE Fundamentals - we were expected to know the requisite formulae and conversion factors.

Offline shehane

• Moderate User
  • You never know, do you?
« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2018, 06:40 »
INL also allows calculators with the memory cleared and a copy of the conversion section from the RCT core fundamentals manual with some of the formulas.  Seems more important the candidate knows how to use the information rather than being required to memorize formulas like the old days.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be! Dirk Gently

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #6 on: Oct 18, 2018, 10:47 »
CALCULATORS? You shouldn't need no stinking calculators! If it can't be done mentally, get a stick and scratch it out in the dirt. If you are in an office setting, paper and pencil should suffice.

Offline japawlak

• Hanford Nuke
  • Very Lite User
« Reply #7 on: Oct 19, 2018, 09:58 »
I think I’m fretting over a test that need not be fretted. The more I study it the more I see that there’s little need for a calculator. This test seems to cover VERY introductory stuff.

Chimera

« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2018, 08:34 »
I think I’m fretting over a test that need not be fretted. The more I study it the more I see that there’s little need for a calculator. This test seems to cover VERY introductory stuff.

If you are good at estimating square roots (or actually know how to calculate them on paper) and tenth and half-values, you won't need a calculator although e-values can be a little tricky.

atomicarcheologist

« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2018, 11:49 by Atomic Archeologist »

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #10 on: Oct 26, 2018, 07:53 »
Iffin ye cant dedicate the few basic fomulas (air sample, t1/2, shielding,stay time, etc.)that are on every version of every RPT test known to man to the permanently installed calculator, then perhaps the calculated removal of radioactive contamination from places where it is unwanted is better suited for you - even in the current era of redefining just what is a senior tech. Retirement be all its supposed to be.

I seem to recall your observation of feeling like a "fossil" during a certain RCT training class. Perhaps this observation still holds true ??? ;)
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?