Career Path > Radiation Safety

DOE RCT exam, calculator use

(1/3) > >>

japawlak:
Can one use a calculator on the DOE RCT exam? Are graphic calculators allowed? Must the memory on such calculators be erased for this exam?

johnnieslingshot:
I have taken the core 5 times (at SRS) and used TI-83 each time.  Was never asked to show memory or programs or any other "hiding" spots within the calculator.  Cannot answer for other DOE sites.

fiveeleven:
Iffin ye cant dedicate the few basic fomulas (air sample, t1/2, shielding,stay time, etc.)that are on every version of every RPT test known to man to the permanently installed calculator, then perhaps the calculated removal of radioactive contamination from places where it is unwanted is better suited for you - even in the current era of redefining just what is a senior tech. Retirement be all its supposed to be.

japawlak:
I’m thinking I don’t want to delete my programs and outdated calculator games. But, to write something useful... graphic calculators are, in fact, allowed. I asked the test administrator. QED

Chimera:
Here in Paducah, calculators are permitted - as long as the memory has been cleared.  However, a sheet of formulae and conversion factors is made available to the candidate.  There may be too many formulae and not necessarily the preferred conversion factors, but everything is there to successfully complete the exam.  Doe has always been easy that way.  In the bad old days - before the standardized NE Fundamentals - we were expected to know the requisite formulae and conversion factors.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version