Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu So now I'm "retired" honeypot

Author Topic: So now I'm "retired"  (Read 7667 times)

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
So now I'm "retired"
« on: Oct 31, 2018, 12:54 »
Last day at VY. After 39 years in the industry, I'm dunn.

The plant shut down 3+ years ago, the fuel is on the pad, and Deathstar is slated to buy it and tear it down. I'm not up for a multi year OT project, so I got to retire.
I've been to 24 reactors since I was hired by Atlantic to jump generators in 79. Its been a long strange trip.

VY was the best - the best people, the best area, just the best.
So all of youze still out there, be safe, remember what's important (it's not work...).

Snake
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2018, 05:38 by Marlin »
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Re: So now I'm "retired"
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2018, 12:58 »
Dunno why the pic is upside down - if any moderator can fix it, I'd appreciate that ;-)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2018, 04:38 »
Hey, retired nuke, formerly known as "Housedad"? Don't want to do another dismantlement? They are so much fun, so many surprises. Remember what was important, you may have missed it. Work was not it, but at least it was better than homelessness and hunger.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2018, 05:39 »
Dunno why the pic is upside down - if any moderator can fix it, I'd appreciate that ;-)

OK

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 2018, 09:25 »
There is no retirement... the lure of the dark side is too strong to resist. Remember that an outage in the spring buys a great summer vacation and an outage in the fall buys a great christmas gift (for yourself or others.)

Seriously, though... congratulations.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2018, 10:46 »
A pension, social security, Medicare, retirement medical, 401K, IRA, and maybe some bonuses greatly reduce the need or desire to go out and work an outage. Add to that not having to get up, drive to work, go through security, follow procedures, maybe pee in a bottle or do some other non-sense. An outage refused buys you a spring vacation. The lure of the Dark Side is no longer strong, but very weak. It is still there and I still hear it calling. Then I realize that I don't have to sell my body to the Dark Side. Retirement is good work if you can get it.

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Radiological Ergonomist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Banned fromLinkedIn. Now on Twitter @PSloglo
« Reply #6 on: Nov 01, 2018, 10:50 »
There is no retirement... the lure of the dark side is too strong to resist. Remember that an outage in the spring buys a great summer vacation and an outage in the fall buys a great christmas gift (for yourself or others.)

Seriously, though... congratulations.

Retirement for a Rent A Tech?  Rentateching is practice for retirement.  When I get good enough at it, maybe I'll not show up at an outage... until then, practice is perfecting.
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2018, 09:16 »
Retirement for a Rent A Tech?  Rentateching is practice for retirement.  When I get good enough at it, maybe I'll not show up at an outage... until then, practice is perfecting.

I have been telling people I am semi-retired for almost 45 years now.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2018, 07:03 »
Snake

From a Snake to a Family Man to a Retired Nuke.  It's been nice knowing you through the journey.

If you would like to visit, DC Cook has two outages in 2019. (Too Soon?)

Offline ipregen

• Moderate User
« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2018, 01:46 »
Good for you, time to do what you want, when you want.

Chimera

« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2018, 11:59 »
After all those years on the road, I "retired" to a nice DOE job

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?