Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu 7 Things People Got Wrong with our Recent ‘Nuclear Power Dilemma’ Report  

Author Topic: 7 Things People Got Wrong with our Recent ‘Nuclear Power Dilemma’ Report  (Read 2033 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2018, 02:10 by Marlin »

thenuttyneutron

I am getting a 404 error when I click on the link.  I wonder if there is a political fight going on in their organization.

*edit*  found the correct link

https://blog.ucsusa.org/steve-clemmer/seven-things-people-got-wrong-with-ucs-nuclear-power-dilemma-report

I like how it has a picture of my old stomping grounds at the top.

Attention should be paid to the price of natural gas.  It has gone up 60% since August and we are entering the cold season with a supply well below the trailing 5 year average.  I think many of the natural gas plants that sold their capacity in the auctions are going to have a large unexpected gas bill that will make it unprofitable to make power.  In Ohio last year there were gas plants in central Ohio making power when it was going for $500 per MW-hr and they were begging to go offline because they were losing money.  They were no allowed to go offline because the grid was under enormous stress.

Maybe they can hedge their bets by buying the capacity of the nukes that did not win at the capacity auctions  ;) .
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2018, 01:23 by Nutty Neutron »

mjd

Nutty Neutron, When you say "old" you really mean OLD. That DBNPP pic is from '77-79 era. Note nothing to left of Turbine Bldg, and cars on the grass of old employee parking lot by the old Guard Shack.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
I am getting a 404 error when I click on the link.  I wonder if there is a political fight going on in their organization.

Not sure what happened I removed the site switches from my post and now it seems to work fine. Lessons learned.

thenuttyneutron

Nutty Neutron, When you say "old" you really mean OLD. That DBNPP pic is from '77-79 era. Note nothing to left of Turbine Bldg, and cars on the grass of old employee parking lot by the old Guard Shack.

Yep.  I worked there from July 2005 to May 2015.  It looked much different when I worked there than the picture on the website.  DB has changed a lot since I left.  The new EFW building was being built at the time that I surrendered my license and rode off into the sunset.  The new EFW bulding was put in place where the old PWST used to sit.

I was reading about an Options Gambling firm called optionssellers.com that recently lost ALL their client's money plus more due to a bad bet on natural gas.  Gas prices are up by 60% since August.  I then did some radcon math with gas turbines, natural gas prices and the fuel cost per MW-HR.  https://www.eia.gov/electricity/annual/html/epa_08_04.html

A rough formula for the fuel cost per MW-hr of electricity from a gas turbine is f(x)= 6.45*X+16 where X is the current natural gas prices in $ per mmBtu.  This is a rough estimate.  If anyone else can improve on it, please go for it.

I wonder at what point will high gas prices make the nukes look good again?

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
Now THAT'S the Union Of Concerned Scientists I know and loathe....

Time to take those flying pigs to the slaughter house. 
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
gaught two love u.c.s. and all they're negative vibes.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?