Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu DEP Navy Nuke Questions

Author Topic: DEP Navy Nuke Questions  (Read 3765 times)

Offline Austin3749

• Lurker
DEP Navy Nuke Questions
« on: Nov 30, 2018, 08:07 »
Hey guys! I'm 17, in DEP, and on Wednesday I went to Philly Recruiting HQ to take my NAPT, which I gladly passed. I'm interested in going ET, since I love dealing with computers, and lets face it, I got a 49 on my ASVAB for the mechanic portion, even though I love cars. So I've been hearing from a few buddies, one inside the Navy and one former, that the suicide rate is pretty high for Navy Nuke school? I'm not exactly how sure that is, but I do know the schooling is going to be difficult and a lot of people can't handle that. So in other words, I'm excited, ready to reclassify ASAP, get my boot date, and go after high school.

-Is it worth a 2nd or 3rd re-enlistment? I know that I'll figure it out later on, but I'd like to hear some stories.
-Any stats on the suicide rate from A school or the other schools? I tried but can't find anything.
-How was your experience during and after A school + power + proto?

Thanks guys, I'm glad this forum exists. I've been reading up a lot on it lately.

TVA

Re: DEP Navy Nuke Questions
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2018, 01:13 »
Who cares about the suicide rate? Are you contemplating it?

Offline gb54123

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2018, 03:22 »
Check your PMs.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2018, 09:34 »
If you want to work with computers, go IT or something that actually deals with computers. Nukes have them and play on them, but that's about the limit. While the ETs got to run the propulsion plant LAN, last I heard, those days are gone, as they done meet the security requirements.

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2018, 09:31 »
When I was in Nuke school, the suicide rate was 0. When I went back as an instructor, the suicide rate was 0. Many years ago, Vietnam was still a motivator. There were a few who tried to get out of the program, either by screwing up or deliberately failing. I don't know why, cuz the benefits far outweighed the alternative. Whatever you choose, remember, it's not what you earn, it is what you learn.

Offline shehane

• Moderate User
  • You never know, do you?
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2018, 09:36 »
I agree with scotoma and TVA.  0 suicides while I was there.  A lot of drinking though.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be! Dirk Gently

Offline ipregen

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2018, 12:36 »
No suicides while I was in, people got drunk, people got laid for the first time and people got married.

Offline shehane

• Moderate User
  • You never know, do you?
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2018, 01:08 »
Sorry, I forgot about the other two things.  I was already married with a kid.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be! Dirk Gently

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2018, 07:46 »
When I was an instructor, we had a couple suicides (one was self-immolation).

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?