Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu The pleasantries

Author Topic: The pleasantries  (Read 3033 times)

Offline thenoobie95

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
The pleasantries
« on: Dec 20, 2018, 01:14 »
Hello all,

I'm currently in the process of enlisting for navy nuke school. I scored well on my ASVAB and am working to have my other citizenships  removed for security purposes. I've spent a lot of time on this board and have sincerely appreciated the sheer amount of information you all have made possible to people like me who are searching for a better understanding of what it really looks like to be a nuke man. I have yet to find, however, a thread on some of the more "non-pertinent" aspects of carrier life. What I'm talking about are the parts that aren't job oriented. I know that free time is quite scarce in this line of work but what are some of the things made available in said free time? I'll make a small list of things below that I've heard mention of but never found a complete understanding on their actual reality. I'm sure this is going to be information that I will find out more on regardless down the line and it in no way inhibits me from choosing this path but I'm curious!

Availability of:
Audio book downloads
Library time
Theater time
Gym
Ability to charge phone/mp3 (Where are the common charging stations?)
purchasable goods (such as: headphones, books, snacks, etc)
Anything else you care to add!

I thank you all in advance for your input. I realize that much has changed on the carriers over the decades, so more recent information would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2018, 01:29 by thenoobie95 »

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
Re: The pleasantries
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2018, 09:32 »
Availability of:
Audio book downloads - You're better off downloading them before you get underway
Library time - While qualifying: NONE! Get qualified! Really, don't spend more than an hour a day though; After qualifying: if you're not on watch/working, have at it
Theater time - WTF? Who told you there are theaters on carriers?
Gym - Reference Library
Ability to charge phone/mp3 (Where are the common charging stations?) - There are more outlets than you can ever use
purchasable goods (such as: headphones, books, snacks, etc) - Ship's store/vending machines. Quality may vary, but it will get you through an underway, and typically no books

TVA

« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2018, 12:51 »
Get qualified

Offline thenoobie95

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2018, 01:24 »
Thanks for the response MMM!
I'm not sure where I heard of the movie theater but I thought I'd ask as I was pretty surprised when I did hear about it as well. I've spoken with the nuke school director and he said the same thing about focusing on qualifying first. I plan on using most of my free time after that trying to start on a couple other engineering degrees but I'll find out more as time goes on.

Offline shehane

• Moderate User
  • You never know, do you?
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2019, 09:24 »
Instead of being having your but powdered and tucked in bed on a carrier volunteer for subs.  Get a taste of the real Navy.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be! Dirk Gently

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2019, 05:28 »
They will, occasionally, set up a big screen in the hangar bay to show movies (major releases), or more frequently, major sporting events. That's about as close as you'll get to a movie theater underway.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?