Career Path > Navy Nuke

The pleasantries

(1/2) > >>

thenoobie95:
Hello all,

I'm currently in the process of enlisting for navy nuke school. I scored well on my ASVAB and am working to have my other citizenships  removed for security purposes. I've spent a lot of time on this board and have sincerely appreciated the sheer amount of information you all have made possible to people like me who are searching for a better understanding of what it really looks like to be a nuke man. I have yet to find, however, a thread on some of the more "non-pertinent" aspects of carrier life. What I'm talking about are the parts that aren't job oriented. I know that free time is quite scarce in this line of work but what are some of the things made available in said free time? I'll make a small list of things below that I've heard mention of but never found a complete understanding on their actual reality. I'm sure this is going to be information that I will find out more on regardless down the line and it in no way inhibits me from choosing this path but I'm curious!

Availability of:
Audio book downloads
Library time
Theater time
Gym
Ability to charge phone/mp3 (Where are the common charging stations?)
purchasable goods (such as: headphones, books, snacks, etc)
Anything else you care to add!

I thank you all in advance for your input. I realize that much has changed on the carriers over the decades, so more recent information would be appreciated.

MMM:
Availability of:
Audio book downloads - You're better off downloading them before you get underway
Library time - While qualifying: NONE! Get qualified! Really, don't spend more than an hour a day though; After qualifying: if you're not on watch/working, have at it
Theater time - WTF? Who told you there are theaters on carriers?
Gym - Reference Library
Ability to charge phone/mp3 (Where are the common charging stations?) - There are more outlets than you can ever use
purchasable goods (such as: headphones, books, snacks, etc) - Ship's store/vending machines. Quality may vary, but it will get you through an underway, and typically no books

TVA:
Get qualified

thenoobie95:
Thanks for the response MMM!
I'm not sure where I heard of the movie theater but I thought I'd ask as I was pretty surprised when I did hear about it as well. I've spoken with the nuke school director and he said the same thing about focusing on qualifying first. I plan on using most of my free time after that trying to start on a couple other engineering degrees but I'll find out more as time goes on.

shehane:
Instead of being having your but powdered and tucked in bed on a carrier volunteer for subs.  Get a taste of the real Navy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version