Career Path > Outages

Advice for getting into Outages

<< < (3/4) > >>

homer7g:
Stay in school.  Outage work is long days of manual labor and standing around waiting.  12 hour days, 7 days a week - no break until you're released from that particular outage.  Day or night for 3-4 weeks and off you go to another plant if you feel like joining the traveling circus of outage workers.  The plant employees will hate you by default because just about every safety/OSHA and screw-up is done by an outage contractor (or outage rats as we like to call them)... not to mention the conditions that outage workers leave the locker rooms / bathrooms... parking in our spots, etc.  You're usually working out of temporary trailers or rooms full of picnic tables.  It's crappy, dirty, hot, sweaty work.  But most get good coin and they move on to another job. 

But if you go into outage work - just be respectful of the facilities because the year-round employees have to use them too.  Also - follow the rules, safety is everything and safety comes first, little tolerance for mistakes, never assume anything, don't come in acting like you know it all (you don't), shut up, listen and learn. 

RDTroja:

--- Quote from: homer7g on Apr 01, 2019, 11:10 ---... just about every safety/OSHA and screw-up is done by an outage contractor (or outage rats as we like to call them)...

--- End quote ---

Perhaps that is because they are actually doing something?

Rennhack:

--- Quote from: homer7g on Apr 01, 2019, 11:10 ---The plant employees will hate you by default  rats as we like to call them... not to mention the conditions that outage workers leave the locker rooms / bathrooms... parking in our spots, etc. 

--- End quote ---

I'm guessing you work in Illinois....

retired nuke:

--- Quote from: Rennhack on Apr 04, 2019, 05:55 ---I'm guessing you work in Illinois....

--- End quote ---
Could be Pilgrim too.... another s**thole

hamsamich:
I was treated pretty good at Pilgrim.   Larry Anzalone.  Not about the plant, about the people.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version