Career Path > Radiation Safety

Radium clock/watch safety? Radon specifically

<< < (2/6) > >>

lifelongstudent:
Thanks Rennhack & Marlin! It sounds like the age old advice is still true on how to handle these things. Normally I wouldn't have given half a second's thought to the article but the fact that a university published it made me stop and wonder. Googling things lately seems to lead to little more than ads and regurgitated material...

The CDV700 shows one particular clock at .5 mr/h at the face, and undetectable 6 inches away. Granted, I don't have an alpha probe for it and the glass should stop that anyway. I figured the direct radiation risk was non-existent, but I wasn't sure about the radon potential.

The 45,000 foot reference was because I'm a pilot. I know that gives me a far higher background level than most, and it sounds like the radon risk from these old dials isn't going to add to that any. Anyway, I appreciate the insights!

scotoma:
Depending where you live and if your mancave is below grade, you could be getting much more naturally occurring Radon. Also, you have radioactive potassium in your body. The old Coleman lantern mantles used to be loaded with radioactive Thorium. Pranksters would bring them to the power plant and slip one into someones pocket inside the RCA so they would alarm the detectors. Radiation is a game of chance, just like flying, driving, eating bad food, and going to public places among other things.

atomicarcheologist:
When your flying at 45k feet, your getting over 2 mrem per 4 hour flight.
Radon is an equilibrium seeker, timepiece seals should preclude much leakage to your environment.
So, unless your watches and clocks are disassembled and open to the environment, your Radon exposure per week should be less than your flying occupational dose.

Bonds 25:
If anything, Radon exposure (what is normally encountered) shows a hormesis effect. Science shows installing ventilation in your home possibly does more damage to your health than what you're actually venting (Radon). Just more radiophobia that's been vomited on the public. Fearing Radon is just as crazy as fearing bananas....but nobody installs banana monitors in their homes.

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/03/080325122807.htm

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2477686/

Rennhack:

--- Quote from: Bonds 25 on Jan 21, 2019, 04:08 ---.but nobody installs banana monitors in their homes.

--- End quote ---

OMG, you are brilliant.  We need to sell Banana monitors.  They sell themselves!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version