Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Radium clock/watch safety? Radon specifically honeypot

Author Topic: Radium clock/watch safety? Radon specifically  (Read 9061 times)

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Radiological Ergonomist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Banned fromLinkedIn. Now on Twitter @PSloglo
Re: Radium clock/watch safety? Radon specifically
« Reply #25 on: Oct 17, 2020, 07:27 »
I'll cite the study :
"As described above, conservative and precautionary measurements of radon arising from a notional collection of 15 pocket watches, 18 wrist watches and a couple of miscellaneous items indicate that radon concentrations routinely exceed the UK HPA/NRPB Domestic Action Level of 200 Bq m-3 under conditions of high ventilation, rising to over 10 times that Action Level at lower ventilation rates."
"Our tests for radon demonstrate that a collection of watches with radium based paint can raise radon concentrations in a room where no radon was previously recorded. It is significant that the average concentration in this continuously actively ventilated room rose from negligible to over 200 Bq m-3, peaking at over 3000 Bq m-3 when the air circulation systems operated at reduced rates."

Seems pretty massive to me, although I don't know what they mean by high ventialtion. But I'll check a product from your link, the only way to know for sure is that I do radon measurments myself isn't it ?

(The piece is now sealed and stored in my garage)
That may sound massive to you, but is not that massive to many on this site.

As reference, the WHO recommends that limits for radon levels not exceed 300 Bq/m3.

So the "massive amount" as defined in this study are less than what the WHO recommends for a ceiling level on radon.

https://www.airthings.com/resources/radon-levels
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #26 on: Oct 17, 2020, 07:50 »
I'll cite the study :
"As described above, conservative and precautionary measurements of radon arising from a notional collection of 15 pocket watches, 18 wrist watches and a couple of miscellaneous items indicate that radon concentrations routinely exceed the UK HPA/NRPB Domestic Action Level of 200 Bq m-3 under conditions of high ventilation, rising to over 10 times that Action Level at lower ventilation rates."
"Our tests for radon demonstrate that a collection of watches with radium based paint can raise radon concentrations in a room where no radon was previously recorded. It is significant that the average concentration in this continuously actively ventilated room rose from negligible to over 200 Bq m-3, peaking at over 3000 Bq m-3 when the air circulation systems operated at reduced rates."

Seems pretty massive to me, although I don't know what they mean by high ventialtion. But I'll check a product from your link, the only way to know for sure is that I do radon measurments myself isn't it ?

(The piece is now sealed and stored in my garage)

Only sounds high. US limit is 4pCi/L.  0.037 Bq per pCi and 1000 liters per M3, I'll let you do the math.

There are radon spas still open with levels up to 5200 Bq m-3, regulators state that there is no safe level but spa operators claim medical benefit and have not been shut down. Here we enter the discussion on radiation hormesis and linear no-threshold model of dose response.

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Radiological Ergonomist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Banned fromLinkedIn. Now on Twitter @PSloglo
« Reply #27 on: Oct 17, 2020, 08:11 »
Only sounds high. US limit is 4pCi/L.  0.037 Bq per pCi and 1000 liters per M3, I'll let you do the math.

Paperboy math pathway:
One pCi/L is equivalent to 37 Bq/m3
A radon WL~=200pCi/L.

A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?