Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Three Mile Island -- Failure Of Science Or Spin? honeypot

Author Topic: Three Mile Island -- Failure Of Science Or Spin?  (Read 1977 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Three Mile Island -- Failure Of Science Or Spin?
« on: Mar 27, 2019, 10:33 »
Three Mile Island -- Failure Of Science Or Spin?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/01/070129152941.htm

TVA

Re: Three Mile Island -- Failure Of Science Or Spin?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2019, 07:37 »
Just when I think no one can be any more stupid someone ( not Marlin ) restores my faith

TechSuper

« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2019, 01:25 »
I have listened to arguments about what went on, who did what, why was this done, why was this not done, and so on and so on.  Actually being there on-shift, working with very competent personnel (minus some egotistical management), and dealing with the Monday morning couch potatoes who have all the answers, it has become evident to me that the only thing that should be understood is that s..t happens. Had there been such things as lessons learned, better communications between utilities and regulators and less concern over the bottom dollar, the industry would not be where it is today.  Had the politicians and industry experts used common sense and dealt with the actual issues by controlling cost of gut wrenching, money grabbing private contracting companies, and the manufacturing industry we could still afford to construct, operate and maintain our nuclear fleets. Instead, like the medical field, we have allowed profiteering to become the basis for how we operate our industry. Why we didn't take what we learned, taught the public on the reality of our business, and built public trust in our operations is beyond me. No one died, no member of the public was exposed to any levels of exposure of any concern, and no part of our environment were affected.

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2019, 11:00 »
And just imagine if OE...from the EXACT B&W design would have been comunicated after Davis Besse experienced the same issue with the pressurizer valve 18 months before TMI. Of course theirs happened during start up and not 100% reactor power, but Operators were trained to NEVER overfill the pressurizer....which is exactly what their instrumentation was telling them was happening. Great job by the Operators at Besse, unfortunately those were before the days of shared OE....even between the same reactor designs.

The WORST commercial nuclear "disaster" in USA history.......simply ruined a reactor.
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?