Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Ohio, Pennsylvania consider nuclear plant bailouts honeypot

Author Topic: Ohio, Pennsylvania consider nuclear plant bailouts  (Read 2416 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!

Offline Mounder

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Ohio, Pennsylvania consider nuclear plant bailouts
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2019, 08:10 »
"In Ohio, a nuclear subsidy bill could put a $925 million project to build a gas plant in Lordstown at risk, said the developer, Clean Energy Future President William Siderewicz."  “This is equivalent to trying to keep Blockbuster subsidized so it can complete against Netflix,” he said

Watch the oil/gas industry do what it can to kill nuclear.  More lobbyists.  Take no prisoners.

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2019, 11:24 »
The big difference is that the people of Ohio need electricity. They don't need another movie rental place. It's like comparing apples and rocks. Take another bite out of that rock Mr. Siderewicz.

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2019, 01:14 »
This is a big mess.  I was the BOP RO at Davis Besse on a very cold night in 2014.  The load dispatcher was calling on a regular basis asking for more MVARS.  I found out after my shift that a unit at Beaver Valley had tripped due to a static electricity problem on one of their transformers, the coal units were down because the coal piles were frozen solid and could not be shoveled into the boilers, and the gas units were all offline because everyone was burning gas in their home furnaces.  The only generators online that night were the nukes and the windmills.  There were actual small scale rolling blackouts farther east in Maryland as well.

The nukes run best when it is cold and I think they will be missed in the future if they shutdown.

I have no idea how the gas units fared during the last punch of cold air earlier this year because I left DB in 2015 and I am no longer in the loop.

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2014/07/beaver_valley_reactor_shutdown.html

Offline Mounder

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2019, 05:37 »
As I've said about Ohioans, they have short-term memories. They fail to see the jobs losses (unless it's automotive) or potential more expensive electrical costs in the future.  The announcement of Davis-Bessie and Perry closing made zero noise.  Try to find a single article about Ohioans screaming to save them.  Crickets. I'm really amazed our politicians are engaged in trying to save nuclear. Bravo.  Ohioans only care about the bottom-line week to week and won't miss nuclear until they need it and it will be gone.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2019, 06:17 »
As I've said about Ohioans, they have short-term memories. They fail to see the jobs losses (unless it's automotive) or potential more expensive electrical costs in the future.  The announcement of Davis-Bessie and Perry closing made zero noise.  Try to find a single article about Ohioans screaming to save them.  Crickets. I'm really amazed our politicians are engaged in trying to save nuclear. Bravo.  Ohioans only care about the bottom-line week to week and won't miss nuclear until they need it and it will be gone.

Ohioans are looking at whopping increases in nat gas availability,....

https://www.fractracker.org/map/us/ohio/

https://www.fractracker.org/2019/02/the-growing-web-of-oil-and-gas-pipelines/

we will continue to burn our transport fuel to push electrons, and burn our food as fuel to push electrons, and sell our present surfeit (and future paucity) to off-shore entities, and subsidize the wind and sun (think about that, humanity sacrificing from it's own lifeblood to gain favor from the sun and the wind, again) because our nation has never had any energy policy,....

however, we have handed out billions of research dollars in the name of policy,....

ah well,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Mounder

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Mar 30, 2019, 06:44 »
I don't disagree.  NE Ohio and it's fracking gas is like a homegrown crop.  Most Ohioans feel it is their duty to use it heartily, especially over big bad nuclear.

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
« Reply #7 on: Mar 30, 2019, 07:52 »
"CLEAN Energy Future" President is worried about Nuclear putting a new gas plant at risk of being built. The marketing name is pure genius.

Their slogan...."Envisioning a clean....er than coal world for our children's future"

"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?