Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Ohio GOP lines up bill to save FirstEnergy nuclear plants honeypot

Author Topic: Ohio GOP lines up bill to save FirstEnergy nuclear plants  (Read 6857 times)

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
Re: Ohio GOP lines up bill to save FirstEnergy nuclear plants
« Reply #25 on: Apr 10, 2019, 02:41 »
Yes it does have to do with gas plants.  Anything nuclear that kills people WILL come back to the industry as more regulations and more money if it is an actual nuclear issue.  Gas explodes BECAUSE it is gas and it is flammable/explosive.   Nuclear plants explode or meltdown because they lose cooling or have a reactivity excursion.  But since you mention it, most nuclear executives I've talked to say anything that happens in a nuclear plant to the negative has a greater effect since it happens in a nuclear plant...if the same thing happened at a gas plant or other plant....no big deal.  I believe them.  People come from other industries to work in nuclear and usually comment on how much more the safety regs are enforced.  Why do you think that is?   If nuclear plants were killing birds due to a radiation issue, what would happen to said nuclear plant?  But windmills can do it all dam day...no prob.  Think about it.  Fukushima didn't kill anybody with radiation as far as I can tell, yet it may have set back the nuclear industry at least a decade and cost 100s of millions of dollars or more to refit with Fuku mods.  I could go on and on.

Do you really think that if a truck spilled nuclear waste on an national hwy they would care whether it was nuclear waste from bomb making or from a nuclear plant.  Nope.  the regs would change for everyone, including  nuke plants most likely ($$$$$).  Is it fair that chemical plants could blow up way easier than a nuke plant but have much less security ($$$$$)?  Nope.  How many examples do you need?

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #26 on: Apr 10, 2019, 03:15 »
the "bridge" notion is well over played,....

but that "bridge" leads to nowhere but the land of promises, unicorns, fuzzy bunnies and rainbows,...

Perhaps I was not clear enough. Long term energy planning depends on frequently flawed projections. Gas prices are one of those flawed estimates the cost is lower than expected and projections for the future have been lowered. AGW is currently used as a justification to extend the life of older power plants that are no longer profitable making them a bridge to whatever replaces them maybe renewables maybe SMRs  or a source not talked about much hydrogen. Trying to stay on topic from the original article that talks about two plants that require additional subsidies to remain operational. The need to preserve these plants depend on the projection of the evolution of technology and political attitudes. I might add that it is the use of gas that has reduced carbon emissions more than any other effort world wide making the AGW argument of preserving uneconomical nuclear plants less effective. More of a bridge to the unknown than a bridge to nowhere.

:old:

[coffee]

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #27 on: Apr 10, 2019, 03:32 »
Perhaps I was not clear enough. Long term energy planning depends on frequently flawed projections. Gas prices are one of those flawed estimates the cost is lower than expected and projections for the future have been lowered. AGW is currently used as a justification to extend the life of older power plants that are no longer profitable making them a bridge to whatever replaces them maybe renewables maybe SMRs  or a source not talked about much hydrogen. Trying to stay on topic from the original article that talks about two plants that require additional subsidies to remain operational. The need to preserve these plants depend on the projection of the evolution of technology and political attitudes. I might add that it is the use of gas that has reduced carbon emissions more than any other effort world wide making the AGW argument of preserving uneconomical nuclear plants less effective. More of a bridge to the unknown than a bridge to nowhere.

:old:

[coffee]

okay, nice 161 word review,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

mjd

« Reply #28 on: Apr 10, 2019, 04:17 »
You can say all day long that nuclear plants get subsidies, but those subsidies are probably outweighed by the cost of onerous regulations the United States puts on nuclear plants.  Ridiculous.  Oyster Creek is one great example....why did Oyster Creek shut down? How much money is spent on litigation and permits and special staff for all the other bunk you have to do just to operate a nuclear plant that really isn't nesc.? If you can't see that your eyes are glued shut with pish posh.   Good word though.  Any discussion of nuclear plants getting subsidies has to be followed with WHY it is so expensive in the first place.  Splitting an atom safely to produce power does NOT have to be nearly as expensive as it is...it is obvious to everyone I know who has a brain and works in this industry.  A person who has a BWR and A PWR lic. should be the first one to know this....unless his eyes have pish posh in them.

Just use the acronym for "special staff for all the other bunk", it's shorter.... INPO.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?