Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Telepole honeypot

Author Topic: Telepole  (Read 20919 times)

tabai

Telepole
« on: Sep 21, 2005, 04:50 »
 Is anyone here reading this is familiar with new Teletectors called "Telepole" and sold and distributed with Laurus systems?

I am thinking of purchasing several teletectors. Are  these worthwile instruments? What are your experiences if you have used them?

Thanks.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Re: Telepole
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2005, 07:56 »
As much as I hate digital instruments, the telepole is not all together bad. Maybe I am just a little set in my ways, but I still prefer a teletector if one is available. However... as I get older I appreciate the fact that a telepole readout is significantly larger and being digital is easier to read. There are some limitiations, particularly when it is 'changing scales' and the Rem/millirem distinction is not how I would have done it. It is much lighter than a teletector and seems to be fairly sturdy, but I have not put it through the same kind of abuse that teletectors often take. There are locking mechanisms to keep the pole extended, which is both good and bad. The audible response is a plus.

Overall, a respectable substitute for the old standard.
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2005, 10:19 by RDTroja »
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2005, 08:28 »
I have not used the Telepole but I can second RDTroja on the distain for digital instruments in the field. The audible is a plus provided it is driven off of the detector pulses and not the digital output. The first time I encountered an audible driven by the digital output I had to wonder what the designer had in mind for that function. Hearing the audible increase with the meter indication was very frustrating when scaning in an area with multiple Hot Spots. This meter did not last long in the inventory thankfully.

stownsend

« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2005, 08:48 »
As Roger has been around since they determined skin exposure by how red it turned i have to agree give me a teletector any day.

refuelflunkie

« Reply #4 on: Sep 22, 2005, 11:22 »
We use them here at Entergy South.  It seems to be a really good meter but we have had a few problems.  The afore mentioned locking collars tend to strip out after a year or so and create a pinch point when surveying the overhead.  The other problem is where the detector housing is screwed into the end of the pole.  the screws back out and could become a FME problem when they fall out or when the detector falls off.

tabai

« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2005, 04:25 »
 Thanks everyone for sharing your Experience. I think I would go ahead and purchase few of these Since there has not been strong negative experiences amongst you guys and they are few $G's cheaper than teletectors.

Thanks again

ageoldtech

« Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2005, 11:11 »
In high dose fields the telepole tends to jump around alot. it's OK for simple overhead surveys or for shipping purposes, but in the field doing filters, lifting a S/G etc. I still love my 6112B

Melrose

« Reply #7 on: Oct 07, 2005, 02:29 »
It is much lighter than a teletector and seems to be fairly sturdy, but I have not put it through the same kind of abuse that teletectors often take.
Overall, a respectable substitute for the old standard.

Not too sturdy.... when VY first went to them, a buddy and I were descending to the top of the 'donut' when the clip of the strap failed,
Drop test - 1, tele-pole - 0
Gathered the pieces, brought them back to instrument issue and checked out another one, back to work with tape on the clip,
half way down, another drop,
Drop test - 2, tele-pole - 0
I won't go on, by the third tele, we opted to tie the tele to a rope and lower it.
I've dropped the old ones as far just to lose the batteries.

I'll take the old over the new considering my abuse.  ;D

rjc4243

« Reply #8 on: Oct 07, 2005, 03:46 »
After having used both, the only good I see for the telepole is that the digital is easier to read.  If going to be entering areas where the dose rate can change rapidly from mr/hr to R/hr, give me a GOOD OLD 6112B any day as they respond a lot faster.

http://

Offline makua13

• Light User
  • Live Aloha
« Reply #9 on: Oct 09, 2005, 12:13 »
 Thanks everyone for sharing your Experience. I think I would go ahead and purchase few of these Since there has not been strong negative experiences amongst you guys and they are few $G's cheaper than teletectors.

The most important thing..these Telepoles can be calibrated to within 5% and a 6112B is only good for 15% accuracy.  The extension locks wear and they do have bad "strapping", but they are so accurate it is my preference.
Live Aloha

Offline darkmatter

• Heavy Metal Poster Child
  • Heavy User
  • you don't know the power of the dark side.
« Reply #10 on: Oct 09, 2005, 10:09 »
The most important thing..these Telepoles can be calibrated to within 5% and a 6112B is only good for 15% accuracy.  The extension locks wear and they do have bad "strapping", but they are so accurate it is my preference.

Yeah, that 5% sounds good, but in the field in a mutiiple energy rad area the Digital display cycles all over the place. I have to look at the little sidebar to get a general idea of what the meter is suppose to be reading. It holds steady enough to source check and calibrate from a calibration source, but the in the field response is different. Don't even think of using one near steam lines with N16 gammas, there is something like a 20% over read as compared to an Ion Chamber. I have also noticed when source checking them that a new batteries will give a higher response to the source then the previous few days source checks.
Pulling CRDs in a boiler, I want my Teletector. Last outage the instrument techs were kind enough to dig out the old teletector 6112 to use. They do indeed work better then the Telepole for that application.
In the Telepole defense, it is good for routine surveys when looking for hot spots and changes in conditions. The chirp function is better then the Teletectors
"Never underestimate the power of a Dark Klown"

Darkmatters website is no more, nada, gonzo, 
http://darkmatter.nukeworker.net.istemp.com  this will get you there, but I can't update it anymore. Maybe nukeworker will host personal sites eventully

allforthenukie

« Reply #11 on: Oct 13, 2005, 04:34 »
     A telepole will give you incorrect readings if you're using it in the vicinity of high power transmission lines, like doing a shipping truck survey out in the yard for example. I think all the stray power in the area affects the instruments electronics.
     Also the telescopes locking threads seem to wear out quickly with use and will no longer lock securely. The result can be that when you are extending the telescope into the overhead area it can slip back into itself and come slamming down, pinching your fingers! Another result of this problem is that if you are climbing a ladder with the telepole slung over your shoulder the telescope will start extending down due to gravity and be banging into everything as you climb. Trying to use tape to solve this just gums everything up. What a pain!
     The telepoles full extension is not quite as long as a teletector so you will find that you can't reach some of the things you used to be able to.
     The audio response is very helpful and is great for truck surveys and for finding hotspots quickly.
     The telepole seems to be a fairly durable and reliable instrument. I haven't had one die on me in the field yet.
     The guys in the Cal lab love these telepoles. As a guy who's the instrument user I prefer the teletector as my extendable weapon of choice.  8)

cwo4gatz

« Reply #12 on: Jul 02, 2008, 03:49 »
i need some info also. xetex 330 telepole, not in production, anyone know of a good replacement for this unit.

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #13 on: Jul 02, 2008, 04:57 »
i need some info also. xetex 330 telepole, not in production, anyone know of a good replacement for this unit.

...the revolutionary MG Telepole is the weapon of choice by those in the know...

...blood blister between the thumb and index finger caused by gravity on rapid bezel ring release and subsequent rapid pole retraction...

...an embarrassment similar to M1 thumb due to novice users...

...light weight bezel ring binding and cross threading also novice mistake...

...think 9 mm service pistol...perfect...

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #14 on: Jul 02, 2008, 07:05 »
   ...the revolutionary MG Telepole is the weapon of choice by those in the know...

...blood blister between the thumb and index finger caused by gravity on rapid bezel ring release and subsequent rapid pole retraction...

...an embarrassment similar to M1 thumb due to novice users...

...light weight bezel ring binding and cross threading also novice mistake...

...think 9 mm service pistol...perfect...

We've replaced the poles on ours with a completely different style - think large knurled rubberized collars at the extension. If anyone is really interested, I could get hold of the info next week when I gat back to work. We also were able to use longer poles this way...

;)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

justatech

« Reply #15 on: Jul 04, 2008, 10:18 »
        the telepoles full extension is not quite as long as a teletector so you will find that you can't reach some of the things you used to be able to.

The are also an FME concern around the pool - the screws sometimes unscrew themselves - check the detector area - at the bottom there are two small black screws on each side - wrap a small strip of electrical tape around it - no more FME problem.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #16 on: Jul 07, 2008, 07:14 »
We've replaced the poles on ours with a completely different style - think large knurled rubberized collars at the extension. If anyone is really interested, I could get hold of the info next week when I gat back to work. We also were able to use longer poles this way...
 ;)
I talked to our instrument guys - they bought painting extension poles at a hardware store, and adapted the end to mount hte detector - they hold up pretty well, and are cheap. However, when they wear out, there aren't replacement parts. They are looking at replacing the poles that are worn out before our next outage.
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Boilermaker

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #17 on: Sep 23, 2008, 06:45 »
We use them here at Entergy South.  It seems to be a really good meter but we have had a few problems.  The afore mentioned locking collars tend to strip out after a year or so and create a pinch point when surveying the overhead.  The other problem is where the detector housing is screwed into the end of the pole.  the screws back out and could become a FME problem when they fall out or when the detector falls off.

Absolutely an FME issue.  We had that same thing happened to us with the screw.  Now all screws and latches are taped off before going into an FME area. 

Another issue to look into, I can't remember the exact reason, but there is currently a newer firmware for the telepole.  This firmware is as new as within the last 6 months I believe.  If you have the telepole, make sure you have the latest firmware update.   

rjc4243

« Reply #18 on: Sep 24, 2008, 07:14 »
Another issue to look into, I can't remember the exact reason, but there is currently a newer firmware for the telepole.  This firmware is as new as within the last 6 months I believe.  If you have the telepole, make sure you have the latest firmware update.

The issue with the software change is that it now changes to the upper detector at 2.5 r/hr instead of 800 mR/hr.

Offline SpyCat

• Light User
  • RPT since 1984
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2020, 01:12 »
I have another post in this forum here regarding Telepoles, but shortly:
After maintaining dozens of Telepoles, I say they are elegant.  Teletector has many more breakable parts.  Yes the Telepole's telescope is horrible; but as mentioned above we did the painter-pole replacement on all of ours at Zion... NEVER had to work on the telescopes again.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?