Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Harrisburgh  

Author Topic: Harrisburgh  (Read 17731 times)

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Radiological Ergonomist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Banned fromLinkedIn. Now on Twitter @PSloglo
Harrisburgh
« on: May 03, 2019, 08:22 »

Would have been nice to know of this. I probably would have gone. Has Nukeworker.com become totally reactive and introspective?

https://wjactv.com/news/local/workers-rally-at-capitol-amid-debate-over-nuclear-power-bill
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 08:05 by peteshonkwiler »
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

Offline wtselig07

• Very Lite User
Re: Harrisburgh
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 09:38 »
and just an FYI there is another rally happening May 6th same place starting at 1230. Everyone is going again. May 6th is the last hearing for the consumer affairs committee.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 10:00 »
Would have been nice to know of this. I probably would have gone. Has Nukeworker.con become totally reactive and introspective?

First I heard of it and it was not in any of my news feeds I check every day. The forum is open to anyone for posting "Just say'n"  [coffee]

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 09:44 »
and just an FYI there is another rally happening May 6th same place starting at 1230. Everyone is going again. May 6th is the last hearing for the consumer affairs committee.
Where in Harrisburg is this rally? I'm not familiar with that town, and address or GPS will help.
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

TVA

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 02:23 »
Would have been nice to know of this. I probably would have gone. Has Nukeworker.con become totally reactive and introspective?

https://wjactv.com/news/local/workers-rally-at-capitol-amid-debate-over-nuclear-power-bill

Why exactly is it Nukeworker’s responsibility to get the word out?
How can one be reactive AND introspective?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 02:24 by TVA »

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 08:05 »

Why exactly is it Nukeworker’s responsibility to get the word out?
How can one be reactive AND introspective?
I don't see where I mentioned Nukeworker.com's responsibity in this matter. I did query a "psyche" , if you will, of the postings and therefore the face of the site. I'm not sure whether that is the corporate responsibility or that of the site population, i.e. the posters.
As to how one can be reactive and introspective:

re·ac·tive
/rēˈaktiv/
adjective
acting in response to a situation rather than creating or controlling it.

introspection
noun
in·​tro·​spec·​tion | \ ˌin-trə-ˈspek-shən \
: a reflective looking inward : an examination of one's own thoughts and feelings

I would put forth a defense that the reactivity occurs when one is so into themself as to be unaware of outside influences until they intrude.
Not seeing why there would be a controversy of those two words being applied to a unit.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 01:19 by peteshonkwiler »
A REM is a REM is a REM

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2019, 09:03 »
Where in Harrisburg is this rally? I'm not familiar with that town, and address or GPS will help.

Camp Hill,....

TMI by the numbers:

675+ employees for <900MW,...

equals bad math,...

then again,...

between severance, early retirements, transfers to natural gas, hydro (even oil in Pennsylvania), plus Maryland and West Virginia are not a regional stretch, and then the direct nuke transfers to Limerick or Peach Bottom at 2300 and 2800 Mw respectively (the PWR folks will have to learn boilers),....

and then the folks who will stay local for the DnD,....

I doubt anybody who wants to keep a job with Exelon will lose a job,...

they might have to move,...

they might have to adapt (perish the thought),...

but we all have had to move to make the coin, save for a very select and fortunate few,....

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 10:23 »
GLW
That brings it down to a couple square miles. Do you think there will be signs up for the Nuclear Rally?

I'd go to support nukes in PA, not so much for a specific site. Personal professional interest is more Beaver Valley. However, with nukes supplying >93% of non-carbon energy, clean energy, etc, they are an important generational capacity to maintain.
A REM is a REM is a REM

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019, 11:04 »

Offline wtselig07

• Very Lite User
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2019, 12:07 »

I believe right outside the state capitol building.
501 N. 3rd st. Harrisburg PA 17120
There’s going to be thousands of people going BV is sending 2 buses full of people

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2019, 01:16 »
wtselig07
That's what my Representative said. I pulled this info from the PA calendar re: this event:

Nuclear Powers Pennsylvania
This statewide coalition supports the many benefits of Pennsylvania's nuclear industry.
Start: May 6th, 1:00 PM
End: May 6th, 2:00 PM
Facility: Front Capitol Steps
Event Type: Rally

Now I just need to see if I can hitch a ride at this late date on a BV bus.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 06:09 by peteshonkwiler »
A REM is a REM is a REM

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2019, 01:38 »
Alas, the buses from BV are for FE employees and family members.

On the road, again!

« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 02:16 by peteshonkwiler »
A REM is a REM is a REM

TVA

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2019, 09:15 »
Since when is nuclear energy carbon free or clean?

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2019, 10:31 »

Since now I think, there is no environmentally hazard/impact free power. But there is a scale of choice and nuclear is very attractive.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 10:33 by Marlin »

TVA

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2019, 10:33 »
Put it closer to biomass

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2019, 10:33 »
Put it closer to biomass

Based on what?

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2019, 10:46 »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2019, 10:52 »
Solar, wind and nuclear have ‘amazingly low’ carbon footprints, study finds

Lifecycle emissions

Today’s research uses the embedded energy numbers to work out the lifecycle greenhouse gas emissions of different sources of electricity.
It finds that the footprint of nuclear, wind and solar are much lower than coal and gas with CCS, as well as hydro or bioenergy, as the chart below shows.

https://www.carbonbrief.org/solar-wind-nuclear-amazingly-low-carbon-footprints

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2019, 10:53 »

Most renewable energy sources are carbon-free. This means that they do not emit any carbon dioxide when they generate energy. Solar, wind, and hydroelectric are carbon-free. Nuclear, though not renewable, is also considered a carbon-free energy source, because unlike coal and natural gas, it does not burn. As noted in a previous reading, nuclear energy generates heat through fission, not combustion. 

https://www.e-education.psu.edu/emsc240/node/506
A REM is a REM is a REM

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2019, 11:00 »
Most renewable energy sources are carbon-free. This means that they do not emit any carbon dioxide when they generate energy. Solar, wind, and hydroelectric are carbon-free. Nuclear, though not renewable, is also considered a carbon-free energy source, because unlike coal and natural gas, it does not burn. As noted in a previous reading, nuclear energy generates heat through fission, not combustion.

https://www.e-education.psu.edu/emsc240/node/506

Nuclear in the life cycle beats some of the renewables. This includes mining materials, manufacturing of materials, construction, and operation.

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2019, 06:49 »
I will not be able to attend this rally, dang it.
Here's a little factoid to bounce of the media and legislators you encounter today.
https://www.post-gazette.com/opinion/letters/2019/04/20/Alternative-energy/stories/201904200030
A REM is a REM is a REM

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2019, 11:03 »
I will not be able to attend this rally, dang it.
Here's a little factoid to bounce of the media and legislators you encounter today.
https://www.post-gazette.com/opinion/letters/2019/04/20/Alternative-energy/stories/201904200030

:)   +K

Offline RFaunt

• Moderate User
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2019, 07:54 »
Heads up: TMI announced their closure this morning. Defueling will be complete by 1 October. We shall see what the future looks like for us RP folk as we have no ISFSI pad yet; so there will be a lot of dry cask work to be done at some point.
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Isaac Newton

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2019, 09:44 »
As long as there is irradiated fuel under water, the EPlan is your friend. If you dont even have a pad yet - You can figure at least 5-7 yrs. for fuel related work and 2 solid yrs. to get the plant into SAFSTOR. Of course most of this is simultaneous. From time of announcement until last 5 RPs out the door in NE Wisconsin was 7yrs. There was already a pad in place for Magnastor village along with a section of NUHOMS nests. Your new mission is now to be one of the RPs traversing the SFP floor in modesties and shoe covers. Keep the faith and good luck.

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2019, 09:56 »
Heads up: TMI announced their closure this morning. Defueling will be complete by 1 October. We shall see what the future looks like for us RP folk as we have no ISFSI pad yet; so there will be a lot of dry cask work to be done at some point.
I thought they were waiting for Legislature vote. Sorry to hear about this. There goes 6% of PA generation, and 13% of the Commonwealth's clean generation.
A REM is a REM is a REM

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?