News and Discussions > Holiday Greetings

memorial day 2019

<< < (2/3) > >>

peteshonkwiler:

--- Quote from: RFaunt on May 26, 2019, 01:13 ---Semper Fi. Thanks for sharing some of the history, Marlin. I always feel uncomfortable when someone treats Memorial Day as a time to recognize all servicemembers. I try not to be the wet blanket, but my Memorial Day memories are a tad too somber for the “Happy” well wishes.

--- End quote ---
My father, a USN vet of WW2 Pacific, never wanted anything to do with the Memorial Day military affairs.
He was born on May 30th, the original Memorial Day. He was much more comfortable with the holiday as a celebration. Maybe because it caused my aunt such anguish as a little girl, because she didn't get a parade on her birthday. Maybe because he saw such devastation during his time in the Navy, including losing his bunk to a kamikaze. Maybe because it was good to get away from the rat race for a day. I think it was because of all these reasons and more.
That is the way I was raised.

GLW:

--- Quote from: RFaunt on May 26, 2019, 01:13 ---Semper Fi. Thanks for sharing some of the history, Marlin. I always feel uncomfortable when someone treats Memorial Day as a time to recognize all servicemembers. I try not to be the wet blanket, but my Memorial Day memories are a tad too somber for the “Happy” well wishes.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: peteshonkwiler on May 26, 2019, 10:15 ---My father, a USN vet of WW2 Pacific, never wanted anything to do with the Memorial Day military affairs.
He was born on May 30th, the original Memorial Day. He was much more comfortable with the holiday as a celebration. Maybe because it caused my aunt such anguish as a little girl, because she didn't get a parade on her birthday. Maybe because he saw such devastation during his time in the Navy, including losing his bunk to a kamikaze. Maybe because it was good to get away from the rat race for a day. I think it was because of all these reasons and more.
That is the way I was raised.

--- End quote ---

my family has been fortunate -

6 combat veterans spanning four wars over the last 100 years with no deaths, and only 3 purple hearts,...

12 veterans total over the same span of years,...

remember and revere those who gave all, they shall not grow old,...

Chimera:

--- Quote from: Marlin on May 25, 2019, 10:40 ---Sailors Rest your oars, we have the watch

Semper FI

Fallen not forgotten

The forgotten history of Memorial Day

https://qz.com/1627427/what-is-the-meaning-of-memorial-day/

--- End quote ---

Most excellent!  Thank you for posting.

Marlin:

--- Quote from: Marlin on May 25, 2019, 10:40 ---Sailors Rest your oars, we have the watch

Semper FI

Fallen not forgotten

The forgotten history of Memorial Day

https://qz.com/1627427/what-is-the-meaning-of-memorial-day/

--- End quote ---

This article is a little more detailed. I live in Tennessee and have never heard of Confederate Decoration Day and was not aware that any state had Confederate Decoration/Memorial days.

The real history of Memorial Day

https://www.airforcetimes.com/veterans/military-history/2019/05/27/the-real-history-of-memorial-day/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Navy%20DNR%2005-28-19&utm_term=Editorial%20-%20Navy%20-%20Daily%20News%20Roundup

SloGlo:

--- Quote from: Marlin on May 28, 2019, 07:29 ---This article is a little more detailed. I live in Tennessee and have never heard of Confederate Decoration Day and was not aware that any state had Confederate Decoration/Memorial days.

--- End quote ---
watt!?! yins knead too git off the reservation every once in a wile. aye gots virginia friends witch celebrate there original memorial day. of course, they're satisfaction was grate when they schooled me on the confederate flag two..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version