Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu memorial day 2019

Author Topic: memorial day 2019  (Read 3190 times)

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
memorial day 2019
« on: May 24, 2019, 01:39 »
yins awl have a grate memorial day week end, n thank you fore yore service two our vets.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: memorial day 2019
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 12:48 »
Agreed and thanks. Take time to remember those that gave all.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 10:40 »
Sailors Rest your oars, we have the watch

Semper FI

Fallen not forgotten

The forgotten history of Memorial Day

https://qz.com/1627427/what-is-the-meaning-of-memorial-day/

Offline RFaunt

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 01:13 »

Semper FI

Fallen not forgotten

Semper Fi. Thanks for sharing some of the history, Marlin. I always feel uncomfortable when someone treats Memorial Day as a time to recognize all servicemembers. I try not to be the wet blanket, but my Memorial Day memories are a tad too somber for the “Happy” well wishes.
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Isaac Newton

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 11:51 »
Semper Fi. Thanks for sharing some of the history, Marlin. I always feel uncomfortable when someone treats Memorial Day as a time to recognize all servicemembers. I try not to be the wet blanket, but my Memorial Day memories are a tad too somber for the “Happy” well wishes.

Once a year my SubVets chapter performs a Tolling of the Boats ceremony to recognize and honor submarines and submariners lost. We reserved at least a portion of the reading of the rolls for our WWII vets, now only one down from five a few years ago. When he reads the roll he has frequently teared up, we lost one in four submariners in WWII. The Marine Corp League here in Knoxville performs our color guard, rifle squad, and bugler for taps they call each year to make sure we connect.

Semper Fi [salute]
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 02:51 by Marlin »

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Radiological Ergonomist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Banned fromLinkedIn. Now on Twitter @PSloglo
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 10:15 »
My father, a USN vet of WW2 Pacific, never wanted anything to do with the Memorial Day military affairs.
He was born on May 30th, the original Memorial Day. He was much more comfortable with the holiday as a celebration. Maybe because it caused my aunt such anguish as a little girl, because she didn't get a parade on her birthday. Maybe because he saw such devastation during his time in the Navy, including losing his bunk to a kamikaze. Maybe because it was good to get away from the rat race for a day. I think it was because of all these reasons and more.
That is the way I was raised.
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 08:17 »

My father, a USN vet of WW2 Pacific, never wanted anything to do with the Memorial Day military affairs.
He was born on May 30th, the original Memorial Day. He was much more comfortable with the holiday as a celebration. Maybe because it caused my aunt such anguish as a little girl, because she didn't get a parade on her birthday. Maybe because he saw such devastation during his time in the Navy, including losing his bunk to a kamikaze. Maybe because it was good to get away from the rat race for a day. I think it was because of all these reasons and more.
That is the way I was raised.

my family has been fortunate -

6 combat veterans spanning four wars over the last 100 years with no deaths, and only 3 purple hearts,...

12 veterans total over the same span of years,...

remember and revere those who gave all, they shall not grow old,...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 08:18 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Chimera

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 12:47 »

Semper FI

Fallen not forgotten

Most excellent!  Thank you for posting.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 07:29 »

Semper FI

Fallen not forgotten

This article is a little more detailed. I live in Tennessee and have never heard of Confederate Decoration Day and was not aware that any state had Confederate Decoration/Memorial days.

The real history of Memorial Day

https://www.airforcetimes.com/veterans/military-history/2019/05/27/the-real-history-of-memorial-day/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Navy%20DNR%2005-28-19&utm_term=Editorial%20-%20Navy%20-%20Daily%20News%20Roundup

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 09:13 »
This article is a little more detailed. I live in Tennessee and have never heard of Confederate Decoration Day and was not aware that any state had Confederate Decoration/Memorial days.
watt!?! yins knead too git off the reservation every once in a wile. aye gots virginia friends witch celebrate there original memorial day. of course, they're satisfaction was grate when they schooled me on the confederate flag two..
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 05:11 by SloGlo »
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline RFaunt

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 04:01 »

watt!?! yins knead too git off the reservation every once in a wile. aye gots virginia friends witch celebrate there original memorial day. of course, they're satisfaction was grate when they schooled me on the Confederate flag two..

Virginia is very proud of its history. I grew up near the birthplaces of George Washington and Robert E. Lee, so a school holiday for Lee-Jackson-King Day in January made sense. I assumed that was the case for kids all over the country. :stupidme:
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Isaac Newton

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?