Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu rad waist inn new o.

Author Topic: rad waist inn new o.  (Read 4220 times)

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: rad waist inn new o.
« Reply #2 on: Jun 29, 2019, 10:24 »
I was curious about what and who but after a search the source is unknown and the isotope is Radium 226.
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2019, 10:25 by Marlin »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #3 on: Jun 29, 2019, 10:53 »
I was curious about what and who but after a search the source is unknown and the isotope is Radium 226.

aha!!!, another radiogenic nuclide is the culprit (not to be confused with those pesky primordials, another of my favorite old guys to talk about when the cocktail party starts to get dull),...

:P ;) :) 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #4 on: Jun 29, 2019, 10:28 »
Between fertilizer production facilities and the oil/gas industry in this area, is it any wonder there's elevated levels of  Ra226 there?

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Jun 30, 2019, 08:30 »
I don't want to appear judgmental, but it appears that there are more hazards in this neighborhood than some naturally occurring nucllides in steel containers. It was good to get rid of those eyesores, so the people could get a better view of the other eyesores in the neighborhood

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #6 on: Jun 30, 2019, 09:25 »
I don't want to appear judgmental, but.....

zeugma, syllepsis or paraprosdokian?!?!?

I'm not sure,.... :-\

Offline Mounder

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #7 on: Jun 30, 2019, 10:34 »
Would a RAP team randomly report innocuous slightly elevated levels?  That doesn't sound like good practice.  (See Great Kills Park- Staten Island, NY)

"Elevated levels of radioactivity were first discovered at Great Kills Park in 2005 by the City of New York and the U.S. Department of Energy while conducting an aerial survey to develop a baseline radiological map of the city. To ensure the protection of visitors and employees, the National Park Service (NPS) took immediate action to close areas of the park in which the aerial survey identified elevated levels of radioactivity. From 2005 to 2007, NPS worked with federal, state and city agencies to conduct follow-up investigations, which resulted in NPS closing additional areas of the park."

https://www.nps.gov/gate/learn/management/environmental-investigations.htm
https://www.nps.gov/gate/learn/management/greatkillscleanup.htm

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #8 on: Jun 30, 2019, 11:54 »
Between fertilizer production facilities and the oil/gas industry in this area, is it any wonder there's elevated levels of  Ra226 there?

Filter socks from oil I think would be a broader spread of isotopes than just Ra226 and fertilizer also has natural radioisotopes. I would think if accurate that it is Ra226 it would have been processed but then you are right, in an industrial area it might be expected. If it was under the road I would think they could use city records to see when it was paved and what industry was in the area.
« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2019, 01:21 by Marlin »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #9 on: Jun 30, 2019, 12:52 »
Filter socks from oil I think would be a broader spread of isotopes than just Ra226 and fertilizer also has natural radioisotopes. I would think if accurate that it is Ra226 it would have been processed but then you are right in an industrial area it might be expected. If it was under the road I would think they could use city records to see when it was paved and what industry was in the area.

Thompson-Hayward Chemical Co. ran a pesticide factory in Gert for decades, the list of petrochemical activities/entities in or around Gert is almost endless, plus the dumping which took place for decades, plus the wipe out, flooding and commodity re-deposition of this neighborhood by Katrina, plus the downright unhealthy levels of arsenic in the neighborhood soils plus, well, you get the idea,..... nobody in Gert, Lousiana should be eating anything out of their backyard gardens nor should they sink a drinking water well, nor a bathing/washing only well, nor just about anything,...

so that just about covers the TENORM aspect of things,...

and then there's the possible/probable NORM aspect as Gert just happens to be in one of Lousiana's hottest radon zones:

https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyNET.exe/000006S5.TXT

edit - sorry folks, the above link doesn't seem to work on chrome or internet explorer, try this one:

https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyNET.exe/000006S5.TXT?ZyActionD=ZyDocument&Client=EPA&Index=1991+Thru+1994&Docs=&Query=&Time=&EndTime=&SearchMethod=1&TocRestrict=n&Toc=&TocEntry=&QField=&QFieldYear=&QFieldMonth=&QFieldDay=&IntQFieldOp=0&ExtQFieldOp=0&XmlQuery=&File=D%3A%5Czyfiles%5CIndex%20Data%5C91thru94%5CTxt%5C00000006%5C000006S5.txt&User=ANONYMOUS&Password=anonymous&SortMethod=h%7C-&MaximumDocuments=1&FuzzyDegree=0&ImageQuality=r75g8/r75g8/x150y150g16/i425&Display=hpfr&DefSeekPage=x&SearchBack=ZyActionL&Back=ZyActionS&BackDesc=Results%20page&MaximumPages=1&ZyEntry=1&SeekPage=x&ZyPURL

bottom line - Gert is just a post industrial/post natural cataclysm less than ideal place to live where even the NORM levels are out to kill you young if the anthropogenic stuff does not get you first,....
« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2019, 12:56 by GLW »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #10 on: Jun 30, 2019, 01:25 »
I don't want to appear judgmental, but it appears that there are more hazards in this neighborhood than some naturally occurring nucllides in steel containers. It was good to get rid of those eyesores, so the people could get a better view of the other eyesores in the neighborhood

Filter socks from oil I think would be a broader spread of isotopes than just Ra226 and fertilizer also has natural radioisotopes. I would think if accurate that it is Ra226 it would have been processed but then you are right, in an industrial area it might be expected. If it was under the road I would think they could use city records to see when it was paved and what industry was in the area.

Added a comma to indicate I thought you were right not that it was in an industrial area which it was. I need to reread "Eats, shoots and Leaves"

[oops]

[coffee]
« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2019, 01:34 by Marlin »

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #11 on: Jul 01, 2019, 08:19 »
... If it was under the road I would think they could use city records to see when it was paved and what industry was in the area.
🤣🤣🤣🤣
Sounds good on paper. In reality those records will only give a vague idea of what may have been reported back in the day.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #12 on: Jul 01, 2019, 10:23 »
🤣🤣🤣🤣
Sounds good on paper. In reality those records will only give a vague idea of what may have been reported back in the day.

A pessimistic Atomic Archeologist?  8)  Where is Indiana Jones?

Cheap shot but I could not help myself.  [devious]

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #13 on: Jul 01, 2019, 08:06 »
A pessimistic Atomic Archeologist?  8)  Where is Indiana Jones?

Cheap shot but I could not help myself.  [devious]
My glass is always half full.  It's taste improves in direct proportion to the project's management research, data acquisition, compilation, and calculation for the activity to be found. Even better when all the site maps are produced for every utility ever present.
I guarantee that those are the projects will will have many delays, head scratch sessions, and creative work arounds. 🤣🥃😁
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2019, 08:08 by Atomic Archeologist »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?