Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu RCT Career Path honeypot

Author Topic: RCT Career Path  (Read 14940 times)

Offline RadconRY

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
RCT Career Path
« on: Aug 29, 2019, 06:03 »
Been a shipyard RCT(federal) for about three years. Working on getting NRRPT test but with a liberal arts degree I need a few more years. I love my job but crave a career path with the ability to problem solve and think critically.I'm open to a masters or even taking more undergrad courses to get prerequisites to be accepted into a health physics graduate program. I know there are stark differences in health physics vs radon tech jobs but will I be able to market my tech experience in pursuit of health physicists positions?

Offline xobxnuke

• Light User
  • it's coming, keep your powder dry
Re: RCT Career Path
« Reply #1 on: Aug 29, 2019, 08:14 »
yes to a point...minimize your meter swinging time if you want to end up flying a desk though...prioritize education...forget nrrpt and spend that time prepping for chp

but the best advice for a smart youngun would be...get a 2 year degree in computerology unless you are already at that level...start your own biz in the computer world and if needed, swing a meter for cash flow...you would have plenty of opportunity to problem solve and think critically!

after you stop laughing consider this...the commercial nuclear power biz is in decline so long term job security is dubious and before you write me off i have been in the biz since 1980...worked construction, d&d, and mostly power...bachelors in hp from a great school and spent about a third of my career climbing the ladder then went 'on the road' because of better money and flexibility...a beach bum can't beat 3 and 4 month summers off!
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2019, 08:25 by xobxnuke »

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Sep 02, 2019, 08:28 »
There are opportunities if you don't mind ravelling a bit. A few outages swinging a meter will help you get a feel for the commercial industry. There are plenty of jobs coming up in the decommissioning field that will challenge your problem solving skills. Holtec and Northstar are a couple of the popular players, and there are others. You could be stationed somewhere for a few months up to several years. There are also DOE sites like Idaho National Labs, Hanford Reservation, Oak Ridge, et. al., that could have long term work.

Chimera

« Reply #3 on: Sep 18, 2019, 08:56 »
I'm still trying to figure out what a "radon tech job" is.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #4 on: Sep 18, 2019, 11:17 »
you do know NAVSEA 08 employs health physicists,....

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/supervisory-health-physicist-instructor-at-us-fleet-forces-command-1474795528

commercial is shrinking, you're already in a program that will be around as long as you will be in the workforce,...

you could ask around in your own backyard on how to move up,...

a couple that I started with at KAPL/KSO in '88 pursued that very path with success,....

others did not,....

I'm just sayin',... :-\

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #5 on: Sep 18, 2019, 11:37 »

I don't care what it is. I just want to know how much per diem it pays.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 18, 2019, 01:02 »

I was curious if there was such a thing so I did a search, the only Radon Tech I could find was a radon abatement technician who installed mitigation equipment.

I now return you to the Twilight Zone of Nukeworker discussions. (yes, I am also guilty)  [OT]

8)

[coffee]

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 18, 2019, 06:20 »
I have met a lot of Radon Techs. They are kind of vaporous, just float around being annoying without causing much damage and then they fade away with a fairly short half-life.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Sep 19, 2019, 09:17 »
Well said RDT. I just figured why bother harpooning the individual for his 86 protons tech reference - hell, he's just a yard bird.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #9 on: Sep 19, 2019, 10:47 »
radon techs don't make squat, and diem is non-existent. at the power play hay day inn the late 80s, early 90s, grate money was $8/hr.  too git that yins had two bee writing procedures n interfacing wit regulators moor than dune sampling n meter reed thing. companies paying the best had the tightest wallets. still got sum i.o.u.s sum ware around hear. aye think they awl went out of bizness.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Mounder

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #10 on: Sep 20, 2019, 09:20 »
Without the bachelors with core natural sciences classes, you're not likely to advance past radcon supervisor.  Getting enough of the classes to take and pass the NRRPT, and being a vet, opens a lot of health physics doors in the federal government.  A 1306 Health Physicist is a professional who for the most part: has a bachelors in health physics, or is a CHP or is a RRPT.  They give equal credit for the NRRPT or CHP.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #11 on: Sep 21, 2019, 11:05 »
They give equal credit for the NRRPT or CHP.

That is terrible.

Offline xobxnuke

• Light User
  • it's coming, keep your powder dry
« Reply #12 on: Sep 21, 2019, 11:18 »
That is terrible.

understatement!

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Sep 22, 2019, 07:53 »
If you play golf, that may make you eligible for higher positions

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
« Reply #14 on: Sep 22, 2019, 12:37 »
Radiological Controls Tech., Radon Tech., NRRPT, CHP - As eluded to previously - It really doesnt matter how radiation interacts with matter, ah but until it does matter, and then it matters a lot. Lets not forget- yardturds are after all federal employees just like AOC and Bernie. Rn's daddy is 88Ra226 but it really doesnt matter now does it. They still all wind up Pb or Bi. The yard birds in the sail makers shop at Portsmouth circa early 80's were the finest glove bag/general enclosure fabricators I ever personally encountered.
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2019, 11:59 by fiveeleven »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #15 on: Sep 22, 2019, 01:04 »
Radiological Controls Tech., Radon Tech., NRRPT, CHP - As eluded too previously - It really doesnt matter how radiation interacts with matter, ah but until it does matter, and then it matters a lot. Lets not forget- yardturds are after all federal employees just like AOC and Bernie. A Rn tech's daddy is 88Ra226 but it really doesnt matter now does it. They still all wind up Pb or Bi. The yard birds in the sail makers shop at Portsmouth circa early 80's were the finest glove bag/general enclosure fabricators I ever personally encountered.

well, we use to put out some pretty good product using the RF welder on the R-5 barge back in 87-88,....

of course, one or two of 'em couldn't put together an air-tight seal to save their selves,....

and one or two of us were magicians with it,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?