Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Has Science Let Radiation Scare Us to Death? honeypot

Author Topic: Has Science Let Radiation Scare Us to Death?  (Read 3829 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Re: Has Science Let Radiation Scare Us to Death?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14, 2019, 01:18 »
Has Science Let Radiation Scare Us to Death?

https://www.realclearscience.com/articles/2019/09/14/has_science_let_radiation_scare_us_to_death_111105.html

as long as people perceive there is "good" radiation and there is "bad" radiation,...

"science" fails,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 14, 2019, 01:49 »
as long as people perceive there is "good" radiation and there is "bad" radiation,...

"science" fails,...

Chernobyl bad, gamma knife good     Just sayin'   8) [stir]

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2019, 02:28 »
Chernobyl bad, gamma knife good     Just sayin'   8) [stir]

eeeeeyup,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2019, 10:21 »
kinda like good and bad cholesterol....me thinks

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2019, 08:14 »
Wow, I guess ignorance is not bliss. What you don't know, will hurt you. Ignorance is not the biggest danger, it's misinformation
I can remember back in the 50s & 60s, there were books and movies about radiation induced mutations. No one knew for sure because not enough time had passed since Hiroshima and Nagasaki to gather data on children of survivors. Now there seems to be little evidence that radiation causes mutations.
Radiation is probably very low on the list of things to fear. It is just more talked about, and people rush to judgment without getting all the facts. It's not science that has caused this, it's the journalists, politicians, and insurance companies.
They are the ones that scare me (but not to death). If fear of radiation would scare you to death, there would be a lot less ignorant people in the world.

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2019, 09:23 »
Good read, but it seems only if you have some background does it present itself as usable. The nay sayers seem to sum up their theories in a more succinct, concise manner, likely due to their not having, or unwillingness to present, well researched albeit factual data. To the informed, in our zeal to present what we know about radiation, the explanations tend to end up being tedious and long winded. Be it higher level topics such as this, or trying to explain to some of the Pittsburgh areas finest  S/G workers why after all the years of convincing them that respiratory protection was best for their safety, that we will now have you enter the channel-head in a baclava/face drape. Somebody needs to formulate a cliff-notes version of all the good stuff so it can be read and comprehended by the next generations of voters and general public.

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Sep 16, 2019, 08:26 »
You are assuming that the general public has the willingness and ability to comprehend. And then you would need to have a journalist who put in the effort to comprehend, and report it in simple enough terms for the general public to comprehend. The general public would then need to accept it as truth and not "fake news". We are barraged with so much info from TV, radio, internet, blogs, email, etc. Much of it is just plain wrong. It may be misconception or ignorance, or it may be a deliberate attempt to deceive. Science and truth are the casualties.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #8 on: Sep 16, 2019, 08:48 »
science takes a backseat two entertainment for information inn these united states.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 17, 2019, 04:49 »
OK Probably belongs in humor but this thread is a nice second place

« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2019, 04:50 by Marlin »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #10 on: Sep 17, 2019, 05:30 »
OK Probably belongs in humor but this thread is a nice second place

that was funny,..... :P ;) :) 8)

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #11 on: Sep 18, 2019, 03:05 »
90% of the time science only matters to people when it predicts something the target person agrees with already.

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
« Reply #12 on: Sep 20, 2019, 11:38 »
Stew's face is priceless....and creepy as hell. Almost like Mr. Burns' fat brother.....coincidence?
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?